The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Number Identification
Mike,

I must have been dreaming about the starter motor. The picture shows where I had thought that it went, but as you can see, it does not. I did not have time this morning to look more closely at the other side. I am not sure whether these pictures help to show which type it should have or not.

I have also included a picture of the head, although I have not had time to clean it to see what casting numbers are on it. I had assumed that it would be the Ruby type which, I believe, it the better version. Assuming the head and engine to belong together, though, I imagine that it is a different version.

Regards,

Jamie.
Jamie.

Can we see the rest of the car?.

I've never seen anyone fit a 3 speed into a Ruby before!. Though with that engine, a 3 speed box will have been a must if whoever fitted it didnt want to drill new engine mounting holes in the chassis.

You do have Ruby pedals, but it would be interesting to see what the rest of the car is.
Based on the shape of the water outlet, the cylinder head is of the earlier, low-compression type.
(17-12-2018, 11:31 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Jamie.

Can we see the rest of the car?.

I've never seen anyone fit a 3 speed into a Ruby before!. Though with that engine, a 3 speed box will have been a must if whoever fitted it didnt want to drill new engine mounting holes in the chassis.

You do have Ruby pedals, but it would be interesting to see what the rest of the car is.

The gearbox still looks to be a 4 speed one Hedd.
Looks to have the tin flywheel cover, so perhaps no starter at all?
Thats how im running the chummy at present. Handle start only. I have a starter motor. Just no wires
Looking at the state of that engine, Jamie I wouldn't even think about trying to start it or even turn it over without a major check over - there's probably a family of mice living in the sump!
(17-12-2018, 04:35 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Looking at the state of that engine, Jamie I wouldn't even think about trying to start it or even turn it over without a major check over - there's probably a family of mice living in the sump!
My mouse made his home on the horizontal ledge next to the oil filler. Took several seconds for his little face to switch from 'bugger off this is my house' to 'oops, perhaps it's your engine"...
Thank you all for the information.

I had another look last night and, unless I am being obtuse, there is no starter motor fitted and neither is there provision visible to fit one. I confess that I had thought that starter motors were fitted to all models after the initial year or two of production. I have attached some more, rather dark, pictures, including one showing the actual car. The gearbox is a four speed box.

The car is in a much worse state than the picture suggests.

Jamie.

Parlous state? Lick 'o paint Mr Fawlty, one hour. Dodgy