The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Number Identification
(18-12-2018, 08:32 AM)Jamie Wrote: Thank you all for the information.

I had another look last night and, unless I am being obtuse, there is no starter motor fitted and neither is there provision visible to fit one. I confess that I had thought that starter motors were fitted to all models after the initial year or two of production. I have attached some more, rather dark, pictures, including one showing the actual car. The gearbox is a four speed box.

The car is in a much worse state than the picture suggests.

Jamie.

I've seen far worse, but I've never seen this combination of engine and gearbox installed in a Ruby.  Something done in the car's last dying days, I suspect.

The starter for this engine would have looked like the photo below, with the starter motor facing into the cab.

Attached Files
.jpg   Starter.jpg (Size: 76.26 KB / Downloads: 246)
You really need to be looking for the correct style of engine for the Ruby; they are readily available (you may even be able to choose a crankcase with number very near you car's original unit) and probably worth less than the early engine you have, so perhaps there will be someone interested in doing a swap maybe even with cash going your way! Make sure you get all the ancilliaries such as the forward-facing starter motor, screw-in oil filler stem, petrol pump, etc.
Almost certainly trashed the original engine and bunged in the nearest available substitute, a starter motor is a luxury you can easily get by without (at least you could in those days).
I recall doing something very similar with my Fiat 500 one mid-winter.

Is that a spare Martin? Smile

I had another look last night and, unless I am being obtuse, there is no starter motor fitted and neither is there provision visible to fit one. I confess that I had thought that starter motors were fitted to all models after the initial year or two of production. I have attached some more, rather dark, pictures, including one showing the actual car. The gearbox is a four speed box.

Jamie.
Looks remarkably like a car I sold about 7 years ago on ebay although I'm sure that had the right engine fitted.On the one I had even the glove box had rusted through and had different number plates on the front and back.I believe the spare wheel cover had been changed.

(18-12-2018, 03:22 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:

Jamie.
Looks remarkably like a car I sold about 7 years ago on ebay although I'm sure that had the right engine fitted.On the one I had even the glove box had rusted through and had different number plates on the front and back.I believe the spare wheel cover had been changed.
It isn't the same car.
Thank you all for the information. The engine is not quite what I had assumed that it would be, I confess. I can fully understand, though, a previous owner fitting whatever they could find just to get back on the road.

I shall have to mull over what best to do and perhaps look out for a Ruby engine.

Regards,

Jamie.