The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st motion shaft
The circlip on the large first motion shaft bearing is there to act as a flange to position it in a recess in the casing. It does not need to be removed EXCEPT that replacement bearings often have a circlip which is fractionally too large to fit in the recess. I found out the hard way and had to take the replacement bearing out again in order to swap the circlip.

Peter.
The other person I know of to suffer this problem was the late Peter Fearn on his way to Woolaton Park many years ago. If the kitchen oven is out of bounds or not big enough I find an old fan assisted heater is ideal, park the item crankcase/ gear case about 2' in front of the heater and have a coffee, after which It will be too hot to touch.
Actually I have just been outside warming up a crankcase and used an electric hot-air paint stripping gun in much the same way as Dave suggests - propped up on blocks a couple of feet away. The important thing is to warm up evenly and gently not concentrating on any one spot.
When I did mine I just sent the Mem'Sahib out to do some shopping at Asda and when she got back she was none the wiser, although she did notice that the oven was warm... "just been warming up some pitta bread for my lunch, dearest"

Tongue

"Deny everything, Baldrick!"
Heated it with the fan heater I have in the garage and now pretty much all in bits. So far everything looks alright, no chipped or broken teeth. Now having a wrestling match with the 2nd/3rd gear retaining circlip.
Thanks for all the advice.
(13-12-2018, 02:36 PM)Simon Scott Wrote: Heated it with the fan heater I have in the garage and now pretty much all in bits. So far everything looks alright, no chipped or broken teeth. Now having a wrestling match with the 2nd/3rd gear retaining circlip.
Thanks for all the advice.

Well done Simon. Just be careful with those clips as you will need to re-use them, no spares available that I'm aware of. If it's the one I'm thinking of - fairly chunky cross-section - it is made from a malleable material and will deform as you prise it off but can be squished back into shape to some extent on replacement.