The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stator tube ignition plate diagnosis
I have an ignition/gas plate which is wobbly on '29 car.

I can see it has a bolt to tighten it to clamp something, but I've just realised that the thing it will clamp to is the outer stator tube, which of course needs to move. There is room for some brass shim (which stops the wobbliness), but I imagine the ignition plate must be held in place otherwise there will be no fixed register position for the levers.
This is a cobbled together project prior to me so I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm scratching my head how and what it can fasten on to. (The next bit down is the nut holding the steering wheel.)
Has anyone got a photo on file from sorting something themselves that might throw some light please?!
thanks Jon

I think the inner tube which now ends at the steering wheel nut (and doesnt turn when the steering wheel turns) must have originally been longer to permit the fastening of the ignition plate? Is this a part which requires splitting the steering box to replace?
The tube arrangement consists of three tubes. The outer one is fixed to the large nut on the bottom of the steering box. It is this tube that the gas/ignition plate clamps to. After that, two tubes, one for ignition, one for gas fit inside the outer tube.

See Fig. G1 -1 and G1 - 2 in Woodrow.
Steve
Thanks.
Very handy - I thus have a slightly short "control bracket tube"!
Bearing in mind it's not really load bearing, I'm wondering if there any way I can somehow splice an extra inch extension into the top rim (it is essentially flush with the top of the nut now). But I can't see a way without stripping it all and fashioning a new tube.
Hi Jon do you have a photo of the problem.  We had a wobbly gas/advance plate, trie a couple of different ones still wobbly.  In the end we put a thin piece of brass in the plate to close the gap.  But if your tube is too short then not sure.
Yup, tube too short Douglas. Nothing to shim to!
Trying to think if possible to extend control tube but can't be sleeved easily as steering wheel nut needs to pass over it.
(11-12-2018, 05:47 PM)JonE Wrote: Yup, tube too short Douglas. Nothing to shim to!
Trying to think if possible to extend control tube but can't be sleeved easily as steering wheel nut needs to pass over it.

The fixed tube on the Sports was broken at the bottom in the steering box - needed a full strip down of the box to fit a new one. 
I think one of our suppliers has the tube.
Austin 7 Components stock the three brass stator tubes - BM129 Throttle Control, BM130 Ignition Control and BM136 being the Control Bracket Tube - listed under 'Steering & Pedals'.

http://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php
great, thankyou both.
Tony - can you remember how the BM136 Control Bracket Tube is actually secured at/in the bottom?
Can't make it out from Woodrow.
Hello Jon. I was recently faced with the same task. I used a socket on the large brass nut at the bottom of the steering box expecting it to be screwed into the aluminium however the nut and stator tube turned. It seems that the nut is screwed into the brass 'thrust' washer inside the steering box and I couldn't find a way of holding it. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordhire

Stuart
Hello Jon, another thought has just occurred - the stator tube must be soft soldered into the brass nut, perhaps heating the brass would melt the solder making removal of the brassware unnecessary?

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart