The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NIPPY DOOR GAP ?? / REAR SAG ??
Hi all, Can someone who has experience of this  problems take a look at the picture posted and give me your opinion of the gap on this Nippy. Door adjustment or sag ? ,The gap looks a little  large with the door also dropped . The other door is said to be much the same. i have a long journey to view this car and would appreciate any thoughts before doing so . Is sag a difficult fix ?
Regards Rob.
The usual problem is poor support for the rear of the car which effectively breaks the cars back. Improved support onto the chassis is required. The timbers that support body, door pillar etc all collapse/crumble too.
These can be overcome and wood kits are available from such as Martin Prior, there are several threads on the forums covering body sag on Nippys.
(10-12-2018, 09:55 PM)NickB Wrote: The usual problem is poor support for the rear of the car which effectively breaks the cars back. Improved support onto the chassis is required. The timbers that support body, door pillar etc all collapse/crumble too.
These can be overcome and wood kits are available from such as Martin Prior, there are several threads on the forums covering body sag on Nippys.

Door is low at the front and rear, looks to have been played around with unsuccessfully this is not an easy fix.
Something funny going on with the steering wheel and column as well.
It looks to me as if the screws holding the top hinge have pulled out, probably due to rotten timber in the B-post and/or the door itself. We can supply replacements for these. It's difficult to be certain from the photo, but I'm reasonably confident that if the hinge was properly fixed, the drop at the front would be corrected. Just on the strength of the picture, I don't think that the tail has sagged excessively.

See if you can get the seller to take pictures showing the areas below.  This is full-on Nippy tail sag!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you Both, Martin and Nick, wow ! Martin that pic of a comlete structure failure is very helpful. Yes steering column been changed. Was told added strength support to rear been done and doors were just hung with no real attention. very helpful info and great to know wood replace available from yourself Martin.
Regards Rob
Doors were hung with no real attension????

This would make me ask what else has been done with no real attension?

Most people never ask themselves what it will cost to put wrong parts right when buying cars.

Is the car actually a type 65 in stead of nippy? If so I think I have an original column and box on the shelf. Not an easy item to find. So is it worth £500?

Tony.
Not disagreeing with anyone but as Martin says, you are fairly sure to find the door hinge screws are pulling out of the wooden door post. Correcting this may make things a fair bit better, if not necessarily permanently.
If you blow the picture up, the screws haven't pulled out of the wood.

Under some force the hinge has opened up. Suggesting body sag.

I also notice there is a non austin 7 latch half way up the passenger door, be careful if the originals are missing, they are extreamly rear, and this results they are very expensive when good sets come up for sale.

Tony.
my gut feel is that the gaps (added) at the top left and right are greater than the gaps (added) at the bottom left and right.
Everything is fine if you can make sure you have enough built in to the purchase price to sort it out properly. Someone will be the right person to sort that car, you just need to work out whether it's you.
it's unlikely to be better than it looks Smile