The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PWA7C December 2018 calendar photograph ?
tighter than a submarine's window or what....

Tongue
Dave, although Seattle has a tidal range of a bit over 16 feet, our harbors are quite deep so drying out is not a issue. Only around river mouths do we have lots of shallows of sand. This is all in Puget Sound. On the ocean side of Washington, we have large beaches, with rocky islets interspersed, making the coast quite hazardous.

Erich in Seattle
(17-12-2018, 07:07 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: tighter than a submarine's window or what....

Tongue

I like to say 'frugal'!
Straying into ooh matron territory here. I just want to say that my copy arived today, and is very good indeed. Many thanks to Chris  Garner and all involved for the splendid calendar.
(10-12-2018, 09:50 AM)Dave Wheatley Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 08:57 PM)Erich Wrote: I'm guessing the tide goes out quite a way, given the appearance of the trawler in the BG, apparently resting on her bottom.

Erich in Seattle

Hi Erich. by UK standards the tidal range at Sdarorough is about average at a maximum of 20 feet at spring tides (highest) between high and low water. Where I am, the range is up to 27 feet. In the Bristol Channel the range goes up to 35 feet. On the west coast of Scotland the range in some places is between 5 and 10 feet. Most fishing boats in those days were designed to dry out at low water.
Just for interest, what's the tidal range at Seattle?

Edit. A quick google tells me that the range at Seattle is up to a maximum of 16 feet, so a bit less than Scarborough,
Hi Erich / Dave,

Largest known tidal range for Scarborough is 19.8 ft.

Roger
(18-12-2018, 12:31 PM)Roger Goldthorpe Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:50 AM)Dave Wheatley Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 08:57 PM)Erich Wrote: I'm guessing the tide goes out quite a way, given the appearance of the trawler in the BG, apparently resting on her bottom.

Erich in Seattle

Hi Erich. by UK standards the tidal range at Sdarorough is about average at a maximum of 20 feet at spring tides (highest) between high and low water. Where I am, the range is up to 27 feet. In the Bristol Channel the range goes up to 35 feet. On the west coast of Scotland the range in some places is between 5 and 10 feet. Most fishing boats in those days were designed to dry out at low water.
Just for interest, what's the tidal range at Seattle?

Edit. A quick google tells me that the range at Seattle is up to a maximum of 16 feet, so a bit less than Scarborough,
Hi Erich / Dave,

Largest known tidal range for Scarborough is 19.8 ft.

Roger
The breadth of knowledge on here sometimes astounds me!