The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning with a Wet Car
(10-12-2018, 05:35 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I think another benefit of the Carcoon/Airchamber idea is that they provide a continuous movement of air.

Funnily enough a trip to the SS Great Britain yesterday taught me the virtues of a low humidity environment.  Before they installed huge dehumidifiers (one inside the ship and one around it in the dock) they collected a bucket of rust falling from the ship every day - now it's nil.  Apparently they have completely arrested the rusting process but at some cost - the machines burn several hundred thousand pounds of gas fuel every year..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This seems to back up what has been said about dehumidifiers, then?!

Colin
Can anyone recommend a dehumidifier for colder conditions?

I bought a Trotec dessicant dehumidifier but (despite the specification) it would only work above 10 degrees c. Not much use in the Highlands as I can't really justify heating the garage for 8 months of the year!

Peter.
(10-12-2018, 09:04 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Can anyone recommend a dehumidifier for colder conditions?

I bought a Trotec dessicant dehumidifier but (despite the specification) it would only work above 10 degrees c. Not much use in the Highlands as I can't really justify heating the garage for 8 months of the year!

Peter.

Peter, I'd give Ebac a ring or email them, see what they advise. I bought my first Ebac machine 32 years ago, it worked faultlessly until when around 15 years old it developed a minor fault and I took it back to the factory for repair - normally they'd have repaired it within a week, however by then CFC refrigerants had been banned so legally they weren't able to repair it and I had to buy a new one - that machine is still working perfectly to this day. I only switch it on occasionally - my garage is brick built inner and outer with a central cavity so quite a reasonable environment most of the time. Unfortunately the garage roof has developed a leak hence the reason I've got the dehumidifier running at the moment.
Airchamber are good.  I keep my Ruby based special in one of the double motor bike airchamber, they would be too low for a box but any tourer should fit. The double bike one is 3m x 1.5m x 1.6m, take up less space and cheaper than a car chamber. 

https://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/product/bike-airchamber/
We run an Ecoair desiccant dehumidifier 24/7 in our home, a 60 ton oak on oak Danish fishing boat. This uses approx 350 watts and has the advantage of no compressor or refrigerant. It gives out slightly warm dry air and has completely cured our condensation, clothes going mouldy in drawers etc and removes a couple of gallons of water a day.

Our Austin been kept in dehumidified storage for the last 10 years and comes out for it's infrequent trips in perfect condition.

I would recon any dehumidifier is better than none.
My unbranded dehumidifier cuts in and out with it's humidistat and has been working for over 35 years now. It used to fill it's bucket in a few days but is now plumbed to outside and drips away. Without the dehumidifier it used to 'rain' inside the garage caused by condensation on the one clear panel in the roof.
(10-12-2018, 10:18 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:04 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Can anyone recommend a dehumidifier for colder conditions?

Peter.

Peter, I'd give Ebac a ring or email them, see what they advise. I bought my first Ebac machine 32 years ago, it worked faultlessly until when around 15 years old it developed a minor fault and I took it back to the factory for repair - normally they'd have repaired it within a week, however by then CFC refrigerants had been banned so legally they weren't able to repair it and I had to buy a new one - that machine is still working perfectly to this day. I only switch it on occasionally - my garage is brick built inner and outer with a central cavity so quite a reasonable environment most of the time. Unfortunately the garage roof has developed a leak hence the reason I've got the dehumidifier running at the moment.

Thank you Jeff, that's very helpful, I'll follow it up.

Peter.
Peter,
Twenty plus years ago I sold, amongst other things, dehums for a living. The company I worked for sold mostly refrigerant based dehums, but from time to time an application for desiccant units would arise. We sold to domestic, industrial and process applications and had a very good hire trade to the construction industry and flood restoration applications. A study and trial we carried out at the Rover factory in Oxford, was to prevent raw steel stock rusting in the former KD warehouse, it was a success but the big saving was in turning the heating off (which was unacceptable to the warehouse staff). This can be achieved if the humidity is kept below 45%. In cold conditions the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere at a given humidity is less than at the same humidity % when warm. The result is that a dehum will produce much less water at lower temperatures, which can result in queries about whether the unit is actually working.
It was a given at the the time that desiccant dehums worked better at lower temperatures than refrigerant units. I suggest that either your unit is working, but not producing much water or it is not and needs attention. To read the humidity accurately a hygrometer is required, we used a paper drum type to keep a weekly reading, but I suspect today a digital version will be available and probably cheaper.
The neat thing about dehums is that they produce more energy in heat than they use in driving the device, a net gain, so in a cold garage they are a very useful tool, but you do need a pretty air tight building to take full advantage of the effect.
You probably knew all this anyway, but I thought it might help. It reminded me of an occasion when in a new office building, the contractor requested hire dehums so that the building could be dried rapidly to meet the contract completion date. After two weeks despite an overkill of machines, the humidity level in the building had not reduced. I toured the building with the contract manager, who had pulled out all the workers until he could get in to do the final fit. I asked how the 25 litre catch tanks were maintained, he said they had a labourer on site ensuring the security lights stayed on and the machines were emptied. We found him and asked how often he dealt with the tanks, "Oh well sir, every evening they are full so I go round and empty them", "Where do you put the water?" "I just chuck it on the floor, its soon gone"?☘ ??
(11-12-2018, 09:30 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: My unbranded dehumidifier cuts in and out with it's humidistat and has been working for over 35 years now. It used to fill it's bucket in a few days but is now plumbed to outside and drips away. Without the dehumidifier it used to 'rain' inside the garage caused by condensation on the one clear panel in the roof.

I use dehumidifier drainings as distilled water for topping up radiators on the old cars; tap water in this area is quite hard, causing scale; I have also topped up batteries with it. Distilled water is difficult to buy these days; they only sell de-ionised.

Robert Leigh