The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning with a Wet Car
Hi,

What is recommended on returning from a rainy trip, please?  I don't like closing the door on a wet car.

Colin
(08-12-2018, 08:35 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Hi,

What is recommended on returning from a rainy trip, please?  I don't like closing the door on a wet car.

Colin

Keep driving until the rain stops? You can really only dry the shiny bits. I used to put a towel over mine to stop the water marks. Now I take it out in the rain for a Mexican car wash.

I set an oscillating fan on a timer for an hour or two. and that is in a garage with a dehumidifier.
Buy an Ebac dehumidifier - built here in the North East of England - their powerdri 18 litre and powerdri 21 litre machines would be ideal for a garage. I've had one for years, they're excellent dehumidifiers.

https://www.ebac.com/dehumidifiers

https://www.ebac.com/about-ebac
A fan should work well in those circumstances. However, in a garage without a humidifier, I am not sure anything makes much difference other than the condition of the garage and the weather. A garage that lets in water can be perpetually damp. In a water-tight garage, a bit ventilation can make a difference - it seems to be better to have some air circulation rather than a tight box? If I had a vintage or rare vehicle I would think about a dehumidifier to help with long term preservation.

After twenty years, my car has little very little corrosion. This is because it was well protected twenty years ago and has had small amounts of remedial work done since - a stitch in time saves nine with corrosion. In addition, the superior quality of the steel (compared say to the other extreme - a 1970s Alphsud) means that any rusting is slow to start and progress.

Colin
dehumidifier!
Anyone use a Carcoon or similar?
I've used an Airchamber for several years:

It's a very effective way of drying out a wet car, typically from very wet to bone dry in 2-3 hours. However, the fan motors don't last long - I think I have replaced five or six times in ten years, and the standard unit is not tall enough for a vintage car (I have to fold the Saxon's windscreen to get it in.
Had a quick look at conditions considered necessary for rusting - temperature/relative humidity.  The benchmark seems to be to keep below 50% humidity at 20 degrees C for slowed corrosion.  At lower temperatures, the humidity can rise higher before the corrosion increases, so a cold garage helps.  For any temperature, the corrosion rate rises ever more steeply as the humidity approaches 100%.  

Interesting that the level of air polution affects corrosion rates - dirty air means more ions in the moisture making it a better electrolyte.  Also that a 'dry' surface (no rain or condensation) is not sufficient to prevent corrosion - high humidity air is enough.

Colin
I think another benefit of the Carcoon/Airchamber idea is that they provide a continuous movement of air.