The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor Refurb
(09-12-2018, 12:48 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Phil,

The early 1935 - 1937 Morris 8 Lucas M35A starter motors have the same pivoting carrier arm / spindle arrangement and suffer similar serious wear problems after 80 + years. If you have a lathe, I'm sure the carrier arms could be bushed as you would with a grandfather clock mechanism. I would think the spindle wear could be slightly more difficult to address as the spindles are riveted from the outer side of the rear cover plate. I'd be interested to hear how you intend to overcome this problem.

Thanks Jeff, I think the majority of the wear is in the spindle so as you say a bit more tricky, I'm still scratching my head at the moment.
If I come up with a satisfactory solution I will certainly post it here.

..... Phil.

(09-12-2018, 01:19 PM)bob46320 Wrote: To 'straighten the motor shaft,  you will need a press. Support the armature with 2 'V' blocks, one at the commutator end close to the commutator, and the other at the "bendix" end as near to the end as practical. A third large "V" block should go between the press ram and the armature windings at the bendix end.

A motor shaft is easily bent if the engine is seized / hydraulically locked due to a head gasket water leak - How do I know that !!

Thanks for that Bob, its good to hear that the armature may be salvageable. I just need to find somebody with a press now unless Santa brings me one (unlikely!  [Image: sad.png])

..... Phil.