The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN/RP door trim plates

.jpg   Standard door trim.jpg (Size: 103.7 KB / Downloads: 340) This is for Graham as I don't seem to be able to post photos on private messages. As far as I'm aware the standard RN saloon (and the RP?) didn't  have the trim plate behind the door grab handle, as shown in the attached photo. The standard models also lacked the sunshine roof fitted to the de lux model and the RP standard saloon had a smoker' hatch.
My door cards are like that (without the metal trim) and the design of the map pocket is the same. Unfortunately the smoker's hatch is long gone.
Many thanks Dave for the picture. It also gives me a good idea of how a standard RP door trim looks like - one stretch pocket.
Thanks also Reckless R for confirmation that your RP is like that.
What a great forum and responses!
Graham

Going a bit off subject, but re the smoker's hatch - mine is gone also.  I keep looking at the framing where it should be and have muttered about trying to make one.  All listeners to that have looked at me sideways and tapped the side of their head knowingly.  Am I mad to try?  I've only seen a few photos of them and they do seem to be a bid fiddly to make.  Maybe I should start a new discussion on this..
Graham
Slowly rebuilding a '34 RP
Graham,
I can also confirm that my "stanard" RP Saloon has door trim as shown.
(04-12-2018, 09:19 AM)Graham O Wrote: Going a bit off subject, but re the smoker's hatch - mine is gone also.  I keep looking at the framing where it should be and have muttered about trying to make one.  All listeners to that have looked at me sideways and tapped the side of their head knowingly.  Am I mad to try?  I've only seen a few photos of them and they do seem to be a bid fiddly to make.  Maybe I should start a new discussion on this..
Graham
Hi Graham
There were posts on the old forum giving the dimensions of the smoker's hatch. 
A well-known A7 person in Nelson New Zealand made one and showed me how he did it.
He made a die for the outer glass frame and used a large commercial press to press it from steel plate. The rest of the assembly (rods, springs, glass, pull etc) didn't seem too difficult. The fixed frame was fabricated from angle.
There are modern versions used for caravans but the ones I have seen online look rather different.
(04-12-2018, 09:19 AM)Graham O Wrote: Many thanks Dave for the picture. It also gives me a good idea of how a standard RP door trim looks like - one stretch pocket.
Thanks also Reckless R for confirmation that your RP is like that.
What a great forum and responses!
Graham

Going a bit off subject, but re the smoker's hatch - mine is gone also.  I keep looking at the framing where it should be and have muttered about trying to make one.  All listeners to that have looked at me sideways and tapped the side of their head knowingly.  Am I mad to try?  I've only seen a few photos of them and they do seem to be a bid fiddly to make.  Maybe I should start a new discussion on this..
Graham

Discussion now starting!

What info do you have on smokers' hatches, Graham?  We've have two or three enquiries about them in the last couple of years, so it would be nice to be able to offer a passable solution.  Do you (or anyone else) know whether other "standard" saloon models used an identical unit?
Not original, but it's been like that since before I got the car and I've had it since the early 80s...

[Image: WP-20170927-13-41-58-Pro.jpg]

This I think is pretty original from my 32 RN if it helps.
Ah but I think that is off a de lux saloon, with sunshine roof. The problem today is cars aren't always rebuilt as Austin made them, i know of a few RP de lux saloons rebiilt without the sunshine roof.
(04-12-2018, 05:23 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Ah but I think that is off a de lux saloon, with sunshine roof. The problem today is cars aren't always rebuilt as Austin made them, i know of a few RP de lux saloons rebiilt without the sunshine roof.

Quite right Dave it is a De Lux RN