The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Restoring a Top Hat
I have had satisfactory magneto rebuilds - that includes armature being rewound - by Armoto Ltd. They are based in Chesterfield. It's a tiny company, but they are probably the only company in UK that can offer magneto rebuilds that are well tested.

It's always good to have a spare magneto to hand. When not in use, my magnetos are stored in the airing cupboard. Dry and warm. That way they are ready for use.
You have come a long way - well done sir.
I love R type saloons.
I think a BLIC mag would be good on that car.
They are about.
I use Ribblesdale in Preston for mags, find them to be very good.
I use myself brightsparkmagnetos (Bill Brown bill@brightsparkmagnetos.com). They are in England but Bill himself lives and works in Normandy, very convenient for us! After the work mags are first tested cold and warm in an oven. Superb work.
+1 for Bill Brown...
I do have a complete and working BLIC and also an ML RF4 requiring some additional parts. However, my experiences over the last thirty years with vintage magnetos has not been good, involving some (very) long walks. The Lucas SR4 solution has always been absolutely bulletproof.

Probably doesn't look so good but has saved my shoe leather!
When having a mag rehearsed it is important to have a modern capacitor installed. Ceramic ones are a must there. Plus they are so small that they can be hidden.
Your restoration diary has been inspiring and a useful guide for the work on my '28 Top Hat. I've only had it since 1962 and I am into the glazing stage of the 3rd rebuild. I can't say restoration, because that might imply 'showroom' condition. In 1963 I used BMC Mini aluminum window guides.They were the correct length and felted. They were however, 1 mm too wide and overlapped the wood frame. I did search for a source of BMC Mini window channels, but the only ones I could find where rubber/plastic/felted. I have now used extruded half inch aluminum channel. It compares very well with the only original window channel piece I have from 50 odd year ago.
Question: So were the window channels you used the original and/or from another source?
Bill Brown always fits an 'Easicap' if I have the spelling right. They are very compact and fit whare they are accessible, under the points.
Right Robert that's what he put on my mag. That's the ceramic ones I told above. Those are better and more reliable than old technology paper caps. One can let the old one "for show" (disconnected) if needed.
(19-02-2021, 12:41 PM)Paul Bradfield Wrote: Question: So were the window channels you used the original and/or from another source?

This was a bit of a problem. I had the original channels for the front windows but the felt covered rubber inside the alloy section was perished. The rear channels were missing altogether. The Seven Workshop stuff is too large, in the end I used a channel from Woolies here:

Single Track Window Channel (woolies-trim.co.uk)

My windows were all recut from 4mm toughened glass as the minimum thickness I could find for laminated was 1/4" (6.4mm). The original glass was 3/16" laminated, unobtanium I was informed but this would equate to 4.76mm, if you could get it.  The Woolies channel would probably work ok with the original glass as well.
The channel was successful, it's just the right size externally and is squeezes up on the 4mm glass nicely. You can tack it onto the wood frame easily as well.
I used a modern glass sealer to seal the fixed glasses and the channel exposed to the weather in. It seems to form a skin but never actually sets. 

Glazing the car took quite a long time  Sad