The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alternator in dynamo casing
I recall from a news item [somewhere-have mislaid the reference] that it was intended to produce an alternator for A7s built into a normal dynamo casing and a regulator within.Can anyone enlighten me as to progress on this project,or indeed supply any information?Its getting near to decision time on my next project!
I understand that these are nearing completion and will try to alert Ian M-S to your post as he is in communication with the manufacturers.
I beleive 2 were imported (compleat with distributor attached with electronic ignition ) Roger Ballard had one on a test rig but understand it stopped working .the other Glynn LLewelin is running on one of his cars and he has not had any problems and says it is good . I must get hold of Ian M-S to express an intrest in 2 when full production starts , but Ian is not selling them himself it is a company he approched who is having them manufactured.
(07-09-2017, 05:33 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: Ian is not selling them himself it is a company he approched who is having them manufactured.

That is correct Nigel.
I sortta remember the guys on the A7 CLUB Germany had an article on this conversion using a Nippon-Denso alternator. Wasn't an inside installation but visible. The nice thing is that there are "one-wire" and high output kits for these AND there are a zillion used ones everywhere 
Ian writes:

"Thanks R - we expect first batch on 1 Oct - I'll keep you posted

Ian
"
(07-09-2017, 06:03 PM)BLUTO Wrote: I sortta remember the guys on the A7 CLUB Germany had an article on this conversion using a Nippon-Denso alternator. Wasn't an inside installation but visible. The nice thing is that there are "one-wire" and high output kits for these AND there are a zillion used ones everywhere 

I have been running a Kubator mini digger  alternator on both my Ruby and RN and all works fine even running off the camshaft pulley at 1/4 engine speed.
i was contacted 10 years ago about putting an alternator inside a dynamo by some german customers.

i understand it couldnt be done at the time without the alternator cuting out at low revs.

they needed something like 1200 rpm to start working.

so the denso unit was used on the end of a conversion, and geared up 2 -1 so engine running at 600 rpm the alternator worked on tickover.

production was very slow, and i dont think they went into full production. a good idea though. and they looked good.

it will be good to see how the new ones work on lower rpm.

tony.

ps, with a "new" modern starter motor, "new" modern alternator in a dynamo case. "new" electric ignision in "new" distrib. wouldnt it be better to give up austin 7s and by a "new" ford fiesta Big Grin
Music 
Hi Tony,
Not strictly correct mentioning a Ford Fiesta, far too much electronics/gismos/thingies to fail.  My next door neighbour who runs his own garage business recons that my Suzuki Swift is a simple car of today much akin the Austin Seven of the 20/30s. Or is he just trying to be kind I wonder?.
Peter,
off track as usual from a very wet pastyland.