The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diaphragm clutch
I am interested in using a modern diapragm clutch and would be interested to hear comments from those who have gone down that route.
Thanks in anticipation, Gene
I seen to remember a few of the 750 racers used a modern clutch and saved a huge amount of rotational mass. The flywheel can be vastly lightened
This is also on my list of things to play with.
It could give a softer clutch action.
The problem is finding a cover plate that will pass over the nose of the gearbox.

Any 750 formula racers out there.
You won't find diaphragm clutch that will clear the g/box nose you have to shorten it and make a release bearing adapter see photos.

Terry.

flywheel  for Renault clutch.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great pics,
Thanks for posting them.
Which renault clutch cover is it ?
Its time to find my scrap gearbox parts and play on the lathe.

Cheers Richard
(01-12-2018, 09:03 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I seen to remember a few of the 750 racers used a modern clutch and saved a huge amount of rotational mass.  The flywheel can be vastly lightened
This is also on my list of things to play with.
It could give a softer clutch action.
The problem is finding a cover plate that will pass over the nose of the gearbox.

Any 750 formula racers out there.

Hi Terry, thanks for photos. Your car, and the component parts thereof are truly a credit to your engineering skills and dedication.
All the best Gene
The clutch kit is for a Renault 4 and early 5 with 845cc engine. QH part no QKT 136 AF used this kit for the last 10yrs it makes a great
hillclimb/sprint/race clutch but is a bit to switchy for the road as you are operating it directly, and needs careful setting up but completely
 reliable for 5000rpm drop the clutch starts.
(03-12-2018, 12:44 AM)Terrytuned Wrote: The clutch kit is for a Renault 4 and early 5 with 845cc engine. QH part no QKT 136 AF used this kit for the last 10yrs it makes a great
hillclimb/sprint/race clutch but is a bit to switchy for the road as you are operating it directly, and needs careful setting up but completely
 reliable for 5000rpm drop the clutch starts.

So what's the total weight of that flywheel and clutch assembly Terry?

Thanks

Charles
Weight of clutch flywheel assy: about ten and a half lbs, less than half the weight of a std assy.

Terry.
(03-12-2018, 11:05 AM)Terrytuned Wrote: Weight of clutch flywheel assy: about ten and a half lbs, less than half the weight of a std assy.

Terry.

Thanks
For anyone who wants to try a diaphragm clutch I am posting drawings using the Renault clutch kit there may be a more modern cover
   available but I have only used the Renault kit.
Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)