The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ruby ARQ Rejuvenation
Hi Geoff

Great to have another post on your thread.  What a contrast between the last two posts. Too hot to work in and too cold to work in!

I’m confined to work in my garage despite the fact that the next “urgent” job is spring removal on the RK. The RK sits under a lean to canopy so basically it’s outside!  I’m building up enough courage to swap the cars around but as I’m half way through spring removal the RK is minus a rear axle at the moment!

Keep on keeping safe and do post some photos of the con rod balancing!

Season’s greetings 

Howard
Seasons greetings, albeit a bit late.

Parts of the conrod weighing jig I’m busy with after perusing many designs on YouTube, and eventually coming up with these parts for my own take.
Anyone guess how they go together?

Geoff - Doing something at last
Are you making them or weighing them?. There must be an aeroplane somewhere, flying around with a big hole in it!
Everything made for the jig as in photo, just need a few minutes with slitting disk then a few MIG tacks and done.
Did so this afternoon but one of my tacks didn’t survive a tug test Sad
A couple of additions became apparent when using it, they to be revealed in a video once done.

It was the first time using the Clarke welder since extending the power leads from the near useless 1.5m to 3m using convoluted tubing.
That tubing is nowhere near as flexible as original, but the torch can be made to swivel at the end so easy to position/point.

Geoff - Continue tomorrow as I gave up in disgust.
PS
No aircraft have been mutilated in any way or fashion :-)

Geoff - Bedtime having finished reading ‘Night Probe’

Weighing jigs done, but work in progress.
The two brass rods have neodymium magnets screwed onto the ends thus making height adjustments easy and one has a roller bearing for the big ends to rest on, whilst other end on the brass rod.
The first problem reared its head when the magnets where very quick in attracting the rod, hence the rubber spacers.

Wohoo multiple photos from iPad can now be included.

Can someone let me know what size and where to drill the hole at the end of the little end pinch slot and provide a photo of a cracked rod please.

Geoff - Well done to the forum team??
Since my last post things went south again due to tablets and my stupidity ?
Decided to spend more time in the Workshop using my machine tools in making tools, as I’ve been ignoring them for too long.
That time had the desired effect in getting my enthusiasm back to doing something worthwhile on the Ruby, until:

Mid-June I amputated the tip of my left thumb including a bit of bone & ripping the nail cleanly off/out, by placing it in the hinge side of bungalow front door jam, then attempting to close said door!!
How STUPID can one get⁉️
Plastic surgery that needed extra bone removal to allow skin to cover the now shorter thumb.
It is now healing quite well, with nail and thumb tip now half length.
Thank goodness it wasn’t the right thumb!
Doing buttons up needs a completely new approach, as is holding things.
Surgeon said 6-8weeks for nail to grow back and 6months for tip to heal.
Workshop time it is for the duration as I dare not try anything on the Ruby for fear of banging the tip that is still rather sensitive.
Talk about being in the Wars

Geoff - Is something/someone trying to tell me something?
PS.
I won’t post photos as they are not for the faint hearted??
I wondered what had happened, a lot of us have been there Geoff, both my daughter and myself when i was her age however both were done in wooden gates so not so severe damage done. hope it heals quickly.
Hi Geoff.

Me too.  Put a hacksaw through my left index finger a few weeks ago.  Luckily the injury was not as bad as yours and the local A & E sorted me out very quickly.

Really looking forward to your thread resuming!

Cheers

Howard
Very frustrating for you Geoff and I'm missing your Ruby progress posts. In my youth I lost the end of my right index finger on a circular saw. It took a good few months but most of the sensation eventually returned and it is perfectly useable. In the interim my party trick was learning to tie my shoelaces with one hand!