The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
In search of a lighter flywheel
Can I ask what the difference in weight is, compared to the original, please?
Will be interested to hear how this turns out Charles - looks like a great job anyhow!

Are you planning to use steel inserts under the clutch springs / at fulcrum points?
(26-11-2018, 08:43 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Can I ask what the difference in weight is, compared to the original, please?

Final weight of the whole assembly is 12.5lbs with flywheel, pressure plate and cover. 
Not sure what a standard one is. The flywheel is too heavy for my workshop scales
And yes, shims under springs 

Charles
(26-11-2018, 10:08 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(26-11-2018, 08:43 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Can I ask what the difference in weight is, compared to the original, please?

Final weight of the whole assembly is 12.5lbs with flywheel, pressure plate and cover. 
Not sure what a standard one is. The flywheel is too heavy for my workshop scales
And yes, shims under springs 

Charles

And fulcrums ?
As noted in the dialogue with the pictures, the slots for 3/16 steel pins running across will be machined in when I'm fitting it up.
(26-11-2018, 10:26 PM)Charles P Wrote: As noted in the dialogue with the pictures, the slots for  3/16 steel pins running across will be machined in when I'm fitting it up.

Not sure I understand how you are setting this up ?
Tony

When I've had the opportunity to have the flywheel, on the engine, in the bellhousing I'll make a judgement as to how deep to mill the slots. The new slots will be perpendicular to the slots for the levers, right at the fulcrum and will have 3/16x5/8 rollers in them.

Does that help?

Charles
(26-11-2018, 10:44 PM)Charles P Wrote: Tony

When I've had the opportunity to have the flywheel, on the engine, in the bellhousing I'll make a judgement as to how deep to mill the slots. The new slots will be perpendicular to the slots for the levers, right at the fulcrum and will have 3/16x5/8 rollers in them.

Does that help?

Charles

Ah - the reverse of the standard fulcrum - thanks.
Standard flywheel assy weight 24 lbs. Bare alloy clutch cover weight 2 lbs 12 oz.    Terry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(26-11-2018, 09:25 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Will be interested to hear how this turns out Charles - looks like a great job anyhow!

A quick report back.
It's been balanced (along with the 1.5" Phoenix crank) and has been in the car for a while.
I've been out at Wiscombe Park hillclimb this weekend and can report that the tickover is lovely (not lumpy) and the gear changes are noticeably quicker, especially the downchange from 2nd to 1st at both hairpins. 

Charles