The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
In search of a lighter flywheel
Some months ago I asked a question about light flywheels and Terry G posted some useful pictures that got my mind humming.
Many light flywheel approaches use modern clutches but I wanted to stick with an Austin clutch. I therefore lightened a late flywheel to a disc and set off to make an extended, light clutch cover.

The net result was that I bought a hefty lump of 6082 aluminium and started making swarf. This " picture essay" shows how I did it.

First thing was mark out the centre and work out how I was going to mount it on a lathe faceplate

Next was to drill and counterbore it and bolt it to the faceplate. The eagle eyed amongst you may notice a layer of cornflake packet cardboard on the faceplate, allowing me to machine fully without grazing the faceplate. You may also notice that I had to shave off the corners to get it to turn over the lathe saddle

There was a lot of swarf created in this process. Bins full. Once again people may wonder about the boss in the middle - all will become clear....

When I'd finished making things round, I then went to the mill. However I kept the aluminium lump on the faceplate and bolted that to the mill table - so I could carry on turning later if needed without losing concentricity.

Now the boss in the middle becomes clear. I turned it to snugly fit an original cover plate, allowing me to position all the spring and other holes using it as a jig.

When I was sure that all the details were spot milled into place and that the holes for the clutch toggle pillars were in the correct positions I then turned down the boss in the middle and used the age old "chain drilling" process to remove the centre

Next stage was to pick up on all the spotted points for spring positions and mill them to the correct depth.

After this back to the lathe and the OD for the starter ring gear was turned

Next post coming...(8 picture limit!)
I then set off to machine the slots for the clutch levers. The pivot points holding 3/16 pins will be machined in final setting up on the real engine

Then I shunk on the ring gear - piece of cake with a domestic oven - provided that you can machine and measure to about +/- 2 thou

And voila - just about finished

Not a job for the faint hearted. Next stop cast iron clutch linings from brake discs. Anybody know where to get clutch rivets?

Charles
Charles very impressive much above my capabilities. Are you a precision engineer by trade.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(26-11-2018, 04:41 PM)John Mason Wrote: Charles very impressive much above my capabilities. Are you a precision engineer by trade.

John Mason

Thanks

Former CEO and now management consultant.
Sometimes I think that I may have been more satisfied as a precision engineer 

Charles
I think we will accord you honorary title of Precision Engineer.
Alan Fairless
Top work there. Looks really good, you must of created a huge amount of swarf making that. I filled a whole workshop bin yesterday making a couple of fairly small components from billet.
(26-11-2018, 06:01 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:  you must of created a huge amount of swarf making that. I filled a whole workshop bin yesterday making a couple of fairly small components from billet.

Almost overwhelming Stuart. On a job like this you consign yourself to making a spectacular mess and then taking a couple of hours to clean up afterwards.

(26-11-2018, 05:19 PM)Alan Wrote: I think we will accord you honorary title of Precision Engineer.

Thanks Alan. I might have to change my "status" or whatever it's called
Charles with cast iron lining I fixed them with 3/16- 5mm pop rivets. Terry.
(26-11-2018, 08:00 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: Charles with cast iron lining I fixed them with 3/16- 5mm pop rivets.    Terry.

Thanks Terry. Nicely practical 

Charles
Very impressive and thanks for sharing the journey, inspiring stuff.
Steve & Tate Davidson
Perpetual Amateur Austineers