The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Opals and two-seaters
An interesting conundrum on Facebook. 

The hypothesis [suggested by Wyatt, essentially, supported by all the Austin literature presently on offer] is that the "Opal" was so named in August '34 as part of the Longbridge launch of the Jewel series, as the last vestige of the flat chrome rad in the range. £100. 

In Aug 35, the Ruby-type front APE car took over (after 735 APDs produced), with the name "Two-Seater". £102.10s

There is believed to be evidence for the later model name continuing as the "Opal" in more than just social useage, the latter of which is completely understandable. So if anyone has any named picture of the APE contained within original Austin factory material or advertising, with anything other than "Two-Seater", please shout! 
Jon, I raised the same question a few months' ago!

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...light=opal

As far as I can ascertain, the Opal name was only officially used on the chrome-rad cars. I have been unable to find any period reference either in Austin literature or the motoring press which mentions the name in connection with the later models. Having said that, my father ran Ruby-fronted 2-seaters before and after the war, and always referred to them as Opals.
We always called Jen’s 36 model the Opal but the evidence now produced convinces me we were wrong and I shall always refer to the later cars as two seaters from now on.
(24-11-2018, 01:49 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Jon, I raised the same question a few months' ago!

Sorry, Mike. Like goldfish... by the time you get round to the other side of the bowl, forgotten....

Good to have it linked. Apparently there may be some contrary evidence in Herefordshire, so will be interesting to see that.

In the meantime...

.jpeg   PreviewYouDesign.aspx-2.jpeg (Size: 27.84 KB / Downloads: 616)
.jpeg   PreviewYouDesign.aspx.jpeg (Size: 35.31 KB / Downloads: 615)
How times have changed, when I bought my 1938 “ Opal” some 35 years ago, only painted rad cars were considered to be Opal’s fitting in with the Ruby, Pearl and Opal theme, the chrome rad a “two seat tourer” . Now it would appear to be quite the opposite. The former to me personally, makes more sense. But heck who cares.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(24-11-2018, 03:41 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: How times have changed, when I bought my 1938 “ Opal” some 35 years ago, only painted rad cars were considered to be Opal’s fitting in with the Ruby, Pearl and Opal theme, the chrome rad a “two seat tourer” . Now it would appear to be quite the opposite. The former to me personally, makes more sense. But heck who cares.

After a very confusing discussion on facebook (I do wish they would post on the forum ) I await the outcome .
Me too
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(24-11-2018, 03:41 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: How times have changed, when I bought my 1938 “ Opal” some 35 years ago, only painted rad cars were considered to be Opal’s fitting in with the Ruby, Pearl and Opal theme, the chrome rad a “two seat tourer” . Now it would appear to be quite the opposite. The former to me personally, makes more sense. But heck who cares.

Interesting, Derek!  

In recent years, I'd come round to that view and until this week would have agreed with you completely.

When we bought our chrome-rad PD in 1974, it was sold to us as an "Opal" and we referred to it as such until about fifteen years ago.  Opinions and available information changed and I became certain that this is was incorrect and that "Opal" referred to cowled-rad cars.  As it happens our car has chassis no 193xxx and was first registered May '34.  It pre-dates by some margin any Ruby, so calling it an Opal was probably always wrong.

It would be interesting to find some cast-iron evidence.
The convesation on FB started earlier this year when I (smugly Confused ) announced that Roly's two-seater was just that, not an Opal! He pointed out that all the literature from the time said the opposite.

Determined to proove his car was a "two-seater" I look at everything I had and everything I could find on line, very quickly coming to the conclusion that the chrome rad. two seater was an "Opal" and the painted rad two seater was a "two seater". That pesky Roly had been correct all along, it would seem Exclamation .

Several have put forward cases on FB to counter this claim but they are either citing secondary evidence or inconclusive wording without a pictorial reference.

If anyone has a photo/picture of a painted rad. two seater specifically named "Opal" in original Austin literature please post it up.

Up until 6 months ago I was happy to call pianted rad two-seaters Opals but I am now of the firm oppinion this is in fact incorrect.
I'm operating well outside my limited sphere of knowledge here, and know nothing of the Facebook discussion, so forgive me if I'm talking rubbish more than usual...but doesn't this ad infer that Opal was for sale alongside the cowled rad Ruby?

Agreed, it doesn't quite meet your criteria, Ruairidh.

I confess I don't know exactly when the chrome rad was phased out without looking it up.

.jpg   austin%201935%207PearlCabriolet.jpg (Size: 105.13 KB / Downloads: 407)