The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1924 Sports
After seeing the repro thing on sale a while back and coming across a road test, I also came across this - the John Sutton letter. How many of these things are known to exist and where can they be seen these days?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There are currently 8 genuine examples of these cars known to exist, of which 2 (in Australia and Finland) have been extensively modified. Two are in New Zealand: original bodies on the correct chassis. Two of the cars in the UK are complete with original bodies on the correct chassis (one of these is the car mentioned in John Sutton's letter above as being owned by Mike Eyre) and the other 2 are being restored, probably with repro bodies.

There are 5 other cars of interest. One is in New Zealand and is a project with many authentic parts. Two have repro bodies and are running. Two have genuine bodies which have been fitted to 1927 chassis.
Thanks for that, David.

I am also alerted to the Pram Hood Register article in grey mag 2016C (David and Phil Baildon I think) so look there, anyone else that is interested...

A query that arose from that exchange: "Were any built on a chassis with 7 inch brakes? These were introduced in September 1926 and at that time the model was, I believe, still being listed for sale."
(19-11-2018, 10:54 PM)JonE Wrote: Thanks for that, David.

I am also alerted to the Pram Hood Register article in grey mag 2016C (David and Phil Baildon I think) so look there, anyone else that is interested...

A query that arose from that exchange: "Were any built on a chassis with 7 inch brakes? These were introduced in September 1926 and at that time the model was, I believe, still being listed for sale."
Jon - My guess, probably not.  Although my car had the chassis repaired/altered to compete in the first Australian Grand Prix (1928), & it had 7" brakes and wheels fitted, but I wouldn't call that original.  (For some reason, they didn't touch the engine which had done 36000 miles - resulting in them stopping several times to replace plugs, but they still finished 3rd in class and 10th outright.  David - Believe it or not, I've just started on rebuilding the body! Cheers,  Bill