The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identification, anyone?
Is the large car a sleeve valve Minerva or one of the more obscure Americans? In the Colonies at that time would expect an event to be dominated by robust  Hudson, Studebaker etc, which, after Fords, would have been common.
can is in lbs and ozs.... and Chummy appears to be a sloping back.

But surely Jeff has it cracked? end of...
I'm interested in how the horn is mounted, certainly not on the head.
Robert,
Benjamin horns on early cars were all mounted this way.
See enclosed details of my '25 Chummy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The three 'Austins' mentioned in the Ferguson advert were BMW Dixis driven by Max Buchner, Albert Kandt and Willy Wagner in the second Coupe International des Alpes of 1929.

I am now confident the photo depicts an Australian-bodied 2 seater in the RACV Alpine Rally of 1925/26/27 ish.

Edit: and yes, Bill, that's a Minerva on the right.
Thanks Chris,
so is it mounted from the petrol tank mounting?
(15-11-2018, 09:47 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Thanks Chris,

Isn't it a z bracket onto the firewall ?
(15-11-2018, 10:36 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(15-11-2018, 09:47 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Thanks Chris,

Isn't it a z bracket onto the firewall ?

Firstly, the car is a late 1925, as that was when they first started making Seven bodies in quantity (& note the windscreen which only came into being mid-'25 in Oz).  The roadster body is curious to me in that although they were making similar roadster backs here then, it's the first one I've seen of with the square doors.  Latrobe Motors, a small Seven dealer, designed a Chummy and a roadster body both with square doors, but they didn't take their patents out until August 1927, so perhaps not theirs.  Incidentally,Latrobe didn't make any bodies, their designs were made for them by  George Motor Body Works in Richmond.  Re the horn location, I'd never seen one mounted on the head until very recently when I was shown a photo of one there.  It must have been very late in the AC's life, otherwise this late-'25 car would have had it there?  All the actual Benjamins I've seen were mounted as Chris & Tony suggested - they utilised one of the petrol-tank brackets for the two bolts.  If anyone needs details, I  made a drawing with measurements of the bracket in my Note book some years back, so if a copy needed, send me an email on ausevenoz@gmail.com    Back to the actual car, it belonged to a Major Harry Shaw and that's him in the photo.  I spent some time with him and he proved most interesting : shot down twice in WW1 and walked back to base both times.  When in UK with the Flying Corps, met up with another pilot named Ross and they agreed that if they survived they'd start up their own Air Service, which they did.   A few years later he and Ross also started a Boat dealership.   In 1925 the original Melbourne Austin 7 dealers allowed him to sell the sports Sevens while they concentrated on the standard models.  He called the firm Light Cars Australia and was notable for his exploits in a Gordon England Brooklands.  But he and the main dealer were taken over in 1927 when Austin Distributors Pty Ltd came into being, with Arthur Waite's help.  Shaw took part in everything possible with his Austin Sevens.  He gave me many photos. I have another shot of that car from the nearside, but the photo was taken in the 1926 Alpine trial, not 1925 - unless by co-incidence he was allotted Number 10 in both years?   Hope of interest.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Thanks, Bill, that seems to have covered most questions. I only dated the car as 1925, rather than the event, so I expect this is, indeed, the 1926 Alpine Rally.
Robert,
As Tony has said, it is a Z bracket attached to the firewall.
Enclosed scan of the Spare Parts list no: 353p showing the bracket, part number BG24.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)