The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy Hood Bag
Just picking up on this much earlier thread, I too have been looking for an old hood bag for my Chummy but nothing’s turned up. Can anyone help with a pattern please? I’ll look to get something made.
Chris
I'm not sure whether the same issue affects Chummies, but one of several reasons I never use the hood bag (or indeed the hood) on my Ulster is that it inflates as you drive along, largely blocking any view to the rear. A central strap was installed in an attempt to curb this, but didn't make a lot of difference. I think it's not so much a rush of air getting in at the front opening, as negative pressure above which 'sucks' it upwards. Given several other negatives, it generally resides somewhere in the garage loft space.
I’d like to keep the hood on as it’s so much of the Chummy’s character and it’s how my father always used it; however, I like driving hood-down… then put it up to hold it’s condition once back in the garage.

I completely understand the untidiness and inflation so need a good solution.
One way of stopping the hood bag from inflating (and keeping it tight) is to run two small straps down to lift-the-dot or similar fastenings screwed into the wooden underside of the rear sear. The perfect-fit hood and hood bag on the AD were both homemade by David Wortley using a roll of fabric stolen by his uncle who worked on the skinning of WW2 Wellington bombers (or something like that, I believe). If they help, the first three pictures show my AD as bought - and the last picture one of the pair of securing straps. The other photographs show the much bulkier hood bag on my AF and how it's secured to the floor with two straps, each held with a small turnbuckle.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   IMG_8158.jpg (Size: 130.72 KB / Downloads: 137)
Thank you Tony, 

It's useful to see the pictures of your hood in it's bag and the modifications you've made.  Are you aware of any patterns out there?  

I might just have to knuckle down, take some measurements, and sketch my own templates.  And that's before I try and pedal-up an old Singer!

Chris
(13-11-2023, 03:44 PM)themaces Wrote: Thank you Tony, 

It's useful to see the pictures of your hood in it's bag and the modifications you've made.  Are you aware of any patterns out there?  

I might just have to knuckle down, take some measurements, and sketch my own templates.  And that's before I try and pedal-up an old Singer!

Chris

Hi Chris, unfortunately, I've no access to patterns - and it's probably best to take careful measurements. I wonder if, before committing to the proper material, making it first in a light cloth and testing it for fit might be an idea?