The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP WITH WIRING!
    Hi all
Wonder if any body can help with technical knowledge on rewiring a  Austin Seven Special 1927 6v.
The present 1980's restoration rewire is poor, so I plan to rewire with black braided cable.
Although I'm enjoying the challenge, I wish to rewire correctly, presently I have a mass of wires poorly connected, wires that go nowhere and others that start out one colour and finish in another (although amazingly everything works).
At present the ammeter unit has some connectors not used and others containing up to four cables (marked as 'A'), can anybody tell me were I can find a diagram with correct information.

Relatively new to the forum and Austin Sevens, was looking to purchase a classic car until a friend introduced the Seven and just love it!

Many  thanks. 
Paul Big Grin
Suggest new loom from seven workshop, search internet for wiring diagram, Cornish Austin seven club is a good source.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
If its a special, then a standard loom may not be what you require. Have a look at a standard wiring diagram and go from there. Select the correct gauge of wire for the lamp/dynamo/ammeter etc. If you want trouble free 6volt electrics, run an earth wire to each lamp, and add an earth wire from the battery to the engine or gearbox. It sounds like you would be better off removing all the old wiring and start afresh. Once you have all your wires roughly in place, bind the 'loom' together with 'self amalgamating tape'. You can also use plastic spiral wrap, but it doesn't look quite so professional.

.jpg   RP Wiring Diag.jpg (Size: 80.36 KB / Downloads: 461)   Using this diagram I rewired my RP adding a few extra wires for indicators etc. if you are using braided wire I would recommend using shrink  wrap to neaten the ends and you can colour code to make things more obvious.
Agree with Bob, earth everything directly back to the battery not through the body. Also use the largest size wires you can feasibly squeeze through the various holes, in order to minimise voltage drop. Braided cable works against you in this respect - I would suggest to use it only where it is visible.
As your car is a Special, period correct wiring my not be important. However, armored wiring would have been the type used in '27, I think.

Erich in Seattle
(14-11-2018, 06:21 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote:   Using this diagram I rewired my RP adding a few extra wires for indicators etc. if you are using braided wire I would recommend using shrink  wrap to neaten the ends and you can colour code to make things more obvious.
Hello,

The Essex Austin Seven website also has this wiring diagram
https://ea7c.org/technical-advice/

Stephen
I agree with Erich

If you do want to be faithful to a 1927 car then looms were not used and the wiring is much more simple than even that shown for the RP. The biggest problem is getting all the wires connected into the SM5 switch box. Being a special it may not use this. Woodrow has wiring diagrams for early cars.

Howard
I don't suppose you are anywhere near me (mid Wilts) - I would be happy to help.

Don't just dive in with your expensive braided wire - do dummy runs first, even if it is bits of string.

1) because your first idea for a route, on a special, may not be the best.

2) The first few wires back to the cut out or dashboard look neat and well planned, but when trying to fiddle the last odd one from the fuel tank sender into the final "rats nest" - you realise you could have done it better but it is too late now.

Solder everything you can.

Provide a separate earth for everything, don't rely on the bodywork, particularly on a special.

Over-rate the wires, especially if you are still on 6 volts.

I tend to use the "chocolate block" screw connectors where I can get them hidden away, I do not like the "bullet" connectors, and the block connectors can act as a gathering point for earths or lighting wires - 4 come in to the block, but only one needs to come out to the switch - for example.   Simplifies things, sometimes.

Simon
The wiring diagrams are fine if all is original but usually end up drawing for yourself a circuit diagram. John Cornforths Ruby diagram on Dorset site does this for you. May need adapting slightly to suit earlier based.

Not all newcomers accustomed to moderns are enamoured ofSevens of any sort. What appeals to you?