The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WINTER WARMERS!
Dressed for outside, with a bobble hat, the inside of the Ruby is out of any wind so it seems warm enough whilst driving.  Usually leave the driver's window open, but sometimes close it on cold crisp days.  Passengers need to be warned to dress up, as per tourers in almost any weather.

My granddad used to mention warming a brick by the fire and wrapping it in a blanket before placing it in the footwell.  

Colin
(14-11-2018, 01:38 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Dressed for outside, with a bobble hat, the inside of the Ruby is out of any wind so it seems warm enough whilst driving.  Usually leave the driver's window open, but sometimes close it on cold crisp days.  Passengers need to be warned to dress up, as per tourers in almost any weather.

My granddad used to mention warming a brick by the fire and wrapping it in a blanket before placing it in the footwell.  

Colin

I too have used a proprietory funnel-type device (in my everyday Morris 8) positioned behind the rad and exhausting into the cab via a 3" hose  -  and a large hole hacked through the bulkhead...    It worked really well and we seemed to have a lot more snow back then.
(14-11-2018, 08:17 AM)Jamie Wrote: Once I get around to building my Ruby-based car, I hope to plumb a small matrix into the toolbox and rig a fan to it to act as a heater. How effective it will be is another matter. The sort of device that comes to mind is the type of heater fitted to some early minis, which was essentially a metal box with a fan strapped to the back.

Jamie.
I have a matrix with connections to fit the top hose and an air collection 'box' to sit behind the fan (preferably export type) from which air can be taken to a hit and miss damper box whose intake fits through the vertical panel of the bulkhead. I will be happy to sell these parts, and have now posted a sale ad, but failed to get my pictures into it!
Robert Leigh
(14-11-2018, 10:04 AM)David.H Wrote:
(14-11-2018, 08:17 AM)Jamie Wrote: Once I get around to building my Ruby-based car, I hope to plumb a small matrix into the toolbox and rig a fan to it to act as a heater. How effective it will be is another matter. The sort of device that comes to mind is the type of heater fitted to some early minis, which was essentially a metal box with a fan strapped to the back.

Jamie.

But even that was plumbed in to the engine coolant!

That is what I plan to do. It is what I did with my old Land Rover which have no heater fitted when I bought it.
(13-11-2018, 09:44 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Many layers of clothing  Big Grin

You call that a coat Mike? This is a coat!

We've done a 150 mile round trip to Leicestershire in the Ulster today, dropped in to see Stuart Rolt at Wymeswold - cold I was not!

Seriously Gary, invest in some thermal underwear and leave the car alone. Clothes were much thicker and heavier in the 1920's/30's, as a trip to any charity shop would have demonstrated a few years back.
As Chris says, regard yourself as a motorcyclist and dress appropriately. No need for all this Heath Robinson heating modifications!!
(14-11-2018, 11:54 AM)jansens Wrote:
(14-11-2018, 08:10 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: If you leave the windows open the screen doesnt mist up

Or the top off! 

These days I find it really difficult to drive any car with the top up or with a lid! Modern cars are atrocious for visibility.

OK, I understand the appeal of a saloon but I have always believed a convertible is a car you drive top down all the time unless you really, really need to put the top up (for me the limit is rain on the inside of the windscreen). These days, even in cars with self erecting tops, the reverse seems true. They only put them down if it's the perfect day. 

Simon

Having just put the chummy on the road I see where you are coming from. 
I had to drive with the window down on my saloon when I first put it on the road, the smoke got to your throat if you didnt.
(14-11-2018, 06:33 PM)Chris KC Wrote: You call that a coat Mike? This is a coat!

Aah! but what's not so apparent is that Isabel is wearing two coats  Big Grin
(15-11-2018, 09:38 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(14-11-2018, 06:33 PM)Chris KC Wrote: You call that a coat Mike? This is a coat!
 Aah! but what's not so apparent is that Isabel is wearing two coats  Big Grin
Equally you can't see the layers I have on under mine!!  Smile
(14-11-2018, 01:38 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: My granddad used to mention warming a brick by the fire and wrapping it in a blanket before placing it in the footwell. 

My gran used to ask us if we were too hot before we got into the car. If not, then we didn't have enough clothes on! She would wrap herself in a car rug to keep herself warm - I still do the same.

David