The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Kit
(12-11-2018, 08:13 PM)Michael D Wrote: if having a  period tool kit is also one of the goals of A 7 ownership, try this ...
https://www.prewarcar.com/278842-austin-...-and-tools
I cannot judge on the asking price so do not blow me out of the water in case the vendor (not being me) is asking OTT

PS: the Duckhams oil can can be bought new for about £ 25 ish at vintagecarparts.co.uk

'Austin' spanners are fairly easily and cheaply picked up at your average autojumble, and I've never personally found them terribly useful. Nice if you want something to display.
Everybody to his own but I think minimal tools and spares. Like I said in my previous entry on this thread you can have loads of spares and tools onboard but the one you want is back home in the garage. Breakdown & recovery home insurance beats messing about at the side of the road in the cold, wet and dark. Get your seven home and repair it in a warm dry garage with all your tools to hand. You can't beat it.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(12-11-2018, 08:37 PM)John Mason Wrote: Everybody to his own but I think minimal tools and spares. Like I said in my previous entry on this thread you can have loads of spares and tools onboard but the one you want is back home in the garage. Breakdown & recovery home insurance beats messing about at the side of the road in the cold, wet and dark. Get your seven home and repair it in a warm dry garage with all your tools to hand. You can't beat it.

John Mason.

You're missing out John!
Over the years, and tens of thousands of miles, the toolkit in "Alice" reduced to whatever would fit in the tin box that once contained a set of kingpins for an Austin 12.

And wheelbrace and jack, naturally.

You can nest box spanners, one inside the other.   Small pair of pliers, points, condenser, etc.   Big screwdriver (Stubby) and small electricians screwdriver.

Most used: the spanner or screwdriver that undoes the carb bowl so you can clear the jets.

Simon
Chris, Now I am in my seventies messing about at the side of the road on a dark wet cold night does not appeal to me in the slightest. As a retired police officer from the days when the majority of us either walked or rode a bike. I got wet and cold enough times to have the fun knocked out of me. A warm dry garage for me every time.
On a serious note though I think high vis clothing would be good to carry with you in case of breakdown.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
A little LED torch and a spare pair of specs!
(12-11-2018, 08:24 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 08:13 PM)Michael D Wrote: if having a  period tool kit is also one of the goals of A 7 ownership, try this ...
https://www.prewarcar.com/278842-austin-...-and-tools
I cannot judge on the asking price so do not blow me out of the water in case the vendor (not being me) is asking OTT

PS: the Duckhams oil can can be bought new for about £ 25 ish at vintagecarparts.co.uk

'Austin' spanners are fairly easily and cheaply picked up at your average autojumble, and I've never personally found them terribly useful. Nice if you want something to display.

Agreed on that one Chris.  I've just collected a set of "original" Austin tools for show and the Austin spanners are too thick!   But I've also just found a "Bedford Vanadium" open ended spanner that was missing from my set.  These are invaluable as each spanner has one end the same as the next in the set.  Means that you have two spanners for each nut size and can always undo nuts and bolts without resorting to holding one end with a pair of Molegrips! They are also quite thin.

Howard
I'd certainly agree that a pretty comprehensive stock of ignition replacement parts is essential, but am I the only old fashioned sort of chap who always has a cylinder head gasket under the driver's seat, just in case?
A spare carburettor, whilst on holiday in the Outer Hebrides the main jet plug fell out, never to be seen again, but by chance I had a spare carburettor with me.
(13-11-2018, 09:02 AM)Steve kay Wrote: I'd certainly agree that a pretty comprehensive stock of ignition replacement parts is essential, but am I the only old fashioned sort of chap who always has a cylinder head gasket under the driver's seat, just in case?

I carry a spare head gasket Steve, but I don't sit on it!

One thing I would stress is that if you are going to carry spares, make darn sure they actually fit your car - sounds obvious but....