The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Kit
I hope to be driving the Austin a bit more next year and want to sort out a practical tool kit to carry with me.

In the past I've ended up with a ridiculous number of tools because I can always foresee circumstances when they might be necessary but realistically I'm not going to be changing half shafts or dropping the sump at the side of the road so I need to sort out what's really necessary to cope with the more likely issues.

Also, apart from spare plugs and possibly CB points what spares do you normally carry bearing in mind I don't actually have much in the way of spares so would probably have to buy them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John.
(12-11-2018, 03:47 PM)John P Wrote: I hope to be driving the Austin a bit more next year and want to sort out a practical tool kit to carry with me.

In the past I've ended up with a ridiculous number of tools because I can always foresee circumstances when they might be necessary but realistically I'm not going to be changing half shafts or dropping the sump at the side of the road so I need to sort out what's really necessary to cope with the more likely issues.

Also, apart from spare plugs and possibly CB points what spares do you normally carry bearing in mind I don't actually have much in the way of spares so would probably have to buy them.

John.

John, if you look at the Cornwall Austin 7 site they list a range of tools to carry. You may not want to carry every thing,but will give an idear of what you may need.
(12-11-2018, 03:47 PM)John P Wrote: I hope to be driving the Austin a bit more next year and want to sort out a practical tool kit to carry with me.

John.

This will very much depend on how far you're likely to be travelling, John.

Most of my (year round) driving is within about 30 miles of home.  Apart from a jack and wheelbrace, I carry some Whitworth spanners in smaller sizes, a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of pliers and a Mole wrench, plus a length of wire and some insulating tape.  On longer trips, I'll carry a few odds and ends for ignition and fuel system problems and on epic journeys perhaps a spare dynamo and fuel pump.

I wouldn't be heroic enough to attempt to change a crank or halfshaft at the roadside!

Having said that - and touching any bits of wood that I can reach - my only breakdown in at least ten years has been one puncture.  I must check whether the tools are still in the car!  In my experience, the more that a car is used, the more reliable it's likely to be.
Don't think I've ever needed to change a spark plug at the roadside, though I would want the appropriate spanner to take one out. Make sure you have the ignition parts well covered - points, rotor arm, condenser, distrib cap, possibly a spare base plate with the above assembled, more points. A hub extractor. Spanners (open and sockets) for 1/4 & 5/16 bolts. Feeler gauges. Any metric fasteners on your car? A decent screwdriver and small adjustable spanner. Functioning and loaded grease gun.
John, you sound like myself in that I do not look forward to doing major repairs at the side of the road. I carry a few whit spanner together with a 22 metric ring spanner for the plugs. Ordinary pliers and narrow nip type. Feeler gauges.Large medium and shortish screwdriver together with an electric size one. Medium size hammer a sheet of medium emery cloth. Jack and wheel brace. Apart from jack & brace all fit in a tool roll. Under the driving seat.
Spares I carry spare plug various fuses an assortment of whit and BSF nuts with a few washers. A length of electrical wire and insulation tape. You can always be sure that the spare you want you have not got with you.
What is most important is that you have some recovery get you home insurance for anything you can not easily fix.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
With the built up distributor base plate, I put it on the distributor and set the point before putting it in to the spares. Then all you have to do to change it is two screw and a wire. Certainly easier than trying to set the point in the dark with a torch between your teeth
Spare light bulbs and a phillips screw driver
Core plugs, radiator hose and jubilee clip, and some gasket goo.
And did I say ignition points?
Depending upon carburettor, a jet key, feeler gauges for setting the points, a small oilstone to clean/remove 'pips' on points. A piece of flexible wire with a croc clip both ends, torch, hammer and pin punch 1/8" diameter to remove stubborn split pins. A tin of BSF/BSW nuts and bolts, tyraps, volt meter/tester and don't forget a spare condenser.
if having a period tool kit is also one of the goals of A 7 ownership, try this ...
https://www.prewarcar.com/278842-austin-...-and-tools
I cannot judge on the asking price so do not blow me out of the water in case the vendor (not being me) is asking OTT

PS: the Duckhams oil can can be bought new for about £ 25 ish at vintagecarparts.co.uk