The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fabric coupling bolts
Hi All

I've just taken the engine out of the RK, preparing to fit a reconditioned gearbox soon to be collected from Andy Bird (thanks Andy!).

I managed to fit Nyloc nuts on the fabric coupling when I last put the propshaft on but I'm not happy with the limited amount of nylon being held by the bolt and the fact the nuts are very close to the handbrake ratchet and adjuster. I find the complex tab washer and split pin arrangement a bit cumbersome.

I'm wondering if using the original half nuts with thread lock is acceptable?  What does everyone use here?

Cheers

Howard
I would use a very thin spring washer or nothing at all Howard - using loctite will come back to haunt you when you come to dismantle.

Make checking they are tight part of you service ritual.
(11-11-2018, 01:18 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

I've just taken the engine out of the RK, preparing to fit a reconditioned gearbox soon to be collected from Andy Bird (thanks Andy!).

I managed to fit Nyloc nuts on the fabric coupling when I last put the propshaft on but I'm not happy with the limited amount of nylon being held by the bolt and the fact the nuts are very close to the handbrake ratchet and adjuster. I find the complex tab washer and split pin arrangement a bit cumbersome.

I'm wondering if using the original half nuts with thread lock is acceptable?  What does everyone use here?

Cheers

Howard
A spring washer does it for me Howard, many miles done. Never come loose.
I just use the normal half nut and spring washer done up with a spanner.
Loctite  every time, been using it for over 100,000 miles on various cars with no issues. You can change a coupling in under an hour with an assistant to push the car back.
Thanks to everyone!

I'll use some shake proof washers and remember to check frequently.

Howard
This website seems to be saying not to use spring washers. Not sure about 'shake proof'.

http://www.smartbolts.com/insights/loose...s-prevent/
(14-11-2018, 09:54 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: This website seems to be saying not to use spring washers. Not sure about 'shake proof'.

http://www.smartbolts.com/insights/loose...s-prevent/

I wouldn't trust any web site who are offering a high tech product that is supposed to be the solution to a generic problem. They have something to sell you. Of course their (usually expensive) solution is best according to them.

I find this more interesting: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi....009424.pdf

A document from NASA who, as a government department, just have tax payer money to spend on the most intricate studies their budgets will allow.

They do seem to say split lock washers do nothing when fully torqued up since then they are effectively flat.  I suspect when us amateurs are using them it's the torque stretching the bolts that mean they don't come loose. And if they do the spring washer stops them vibrating right off.

Simon
(11-11-2018, 01:18 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

I managed to fit Nyloc nuts on the fabric coupling when I last put the propshaft on but I'm not happy with the limited amount of nylon being held by the bolt and the fact the nuts are very close to the handbrake ratchet and adjuster.
Cheers

Howard

Thin down the seat of the Nyloc nuts 2/3  to 3/4 thickness in a lathe?
Are we trying to create a problem that doesnt exist? My daughters car has been in the family for 40years. On the road for 30of those. My saloon has been on the road 18years. Neither prop shaft has ever come loose. Using the standard half nuts and spring washers.