The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Tractor, France
On our travels in August we came across the Dufresne museum at Azay-le-Rideau, just south-west of Tours. It is the lifelong collection of Maurice Dufresne who rescued a huge variety of machinery that otherwise would quite literally have rotted away or been destroyed. Eventually he was able to buy the former paper mill at Azay-le-Rideau and convert it into a museum to house his treasures. Well worth visiting if you are down that way. There's everything from 17th century weaving looms through cars and planes, a mobile guillotine(!), engines, water wheel, it goes on and on - in fact the walk through the buildings is 1km. It is all weird and wonderful and very well presented. Well worth a couple of hours if you are passing.

Regretably not an A7 in sight but Sir Herbert gets a look-in with this lovely tractor:

More photos from the collection: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4jDQtS
There is a new book just published on Austin Tractors. I have been supplied with a review copy by the publishers and my review should appear in the 2018A Grey Magazine..
We have been there several times ,a very eccentric but interesting collection, as you say from cars to a green Routemaster. It generates its own electricity from a turbine on show below the floor in the museum.
Wonderful collection. I love how the early steam tractors(I assume that's what they are) look like mobile stills...or maybe they are mobile stills...

Erich
(05-09-2017, 06:27 PM)Erich Wrote: Wonderful collection. I love how the early steam tractors(I assume that's what they are) look like mobile stills...or maybe they are mobile stills...

Erich

Erich - If you are referring to this one then yes, it is a mobile alembic still from 1926. It was built in Clermont-Ferrand and was recovered from the Chateau D'Artigny in the Loire region. Delightful, isn't it.

Thanks, Nick. That's the one. For distilling brandy? Or maybe for distilling absinthe, hence the mobile ability? I can imagine the French "Revenuers" chasing this down. ;-)
It's called an "alambic mobile" or "bouilloire de cru" - it's a mobile distillery and was used to tour round the villages distilling grapes into alcohol for the locals. Only certain individuals had a licence which has over the past 20 years or so passed into history.
Have been to the museum several years ago, loads of fascinating stuff in there -especially the huge underground  horizontal waterwheel/turbine. Managed to Miss the Austin tractor though.

(07-09-2017, 11:58 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: It's called an "alambic mobile" or "bouilloire de cru" - it's a mobile distillery and was used to tour round the villages distilling grapes into alcohol for the locals. Only certain individuals had a licence which has over the past 20 years or so passed into history.

The neighboring  farmers to a friend of ours who lives Near Chatillon Sur Colmont don't seem to have heard that DIY distillation has passed into history Wink . I'm sure that I could run my car on  their Calvados - I don't have any memory of the  evening following on from their hospitality.