The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steel forging or steel casting
I have always thought of the Chassis nosepiece as a forging- but see it regularly called a casting - is there any Longbridge factory specification available ?
Where have you seen it referred to as a casting?

Colin
(11-11-2018, 06:09 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Where have you seen it referred to as a casting?

Colin

I agree with Tony, I have seen it referred to more than once as a casting - couldn't say where - but I've never had any doubt that it is actually a forging.
(11-11-2018, 06:09 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Where have you seen it referred to as a casting?

Colin

David Morgan's book 'Immortal Austin Seven' for one !
Thanks, found it on page 18.  (Says the cast nose piece is an example of excellent design, efficiently doing ten different jobs since so much bolts to it.)

Colin
(11-11-2018, 09:42 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Thanks, found it on page 18.  (Says the cast nose piece is an example of excellent design, efficiently doing ten different jobs since so much bolts to it.)

Colin

Any more advice on whether forging or casting?
(15-11-2018, 10:47 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 09:42 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Thanks, found it on page 18.  (Says the cast nose piece is an example of excellent design, efficiently doing ten different jobs since so much bolts to it.)

Colin

Any more advice on whether forging or casting?

I honestly don't know but I would have thought it should be a forging; purely from the point of view of strength.
I agree. I’d be really surprised if it were a casting
Alan Fairless
I hoped this (below) might answer your question Tony, but I'm afraid not.

@ 6 mins though you can watch an A7 crank being forged... ("Through the mighty beating of 36 hammers, whose reverberations are heard on a still night 2 miles from Longbridge").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kcMaoGA-HE
As ever, the factory shots very interesting. Esp the cranks.  I don’t suppose Phoenix stomp them out quite so fast. Presumably the frenetic pace everywhere was not maintained. There must have been many accidents. And fumes would take a toll. No safety glasses.

For anyone that may be interested, steel casting was/is not widely used. There was a more expensive version of Record vices in steel rather than high strength iron. Included in the wording on side. I understand Ford 10 and V8 cranks were cast steel. The frames for American steam locos, bogey frames,  and the turrets and bodies of some tanks cast steel