The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pricey, but....
Long time since I saw this and the reference to it having been restored by Donald Doughty was a trip down memory lane. Donald Doughty was instrumental in setting up the Clubs' Association. The Archive still contains some memorabilia of his, notable his gold fountain pen, which is a particular favourite of mine...

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad226148.html
This was at Beaulieu on the weekend, and was a great surprise to see it. Unfortunately I convinced myself that my camera would not be needed, only to find this, and a GE saloon mid restoration! (I would be greatly appreciative if anyone has any pictures or more info on the GE, can't recall who was selling it, but it was on a stall rather than in the cars for sale area) From memory (so may be wrong) the price on the screen of the Coupe saturday was something like £39,950, and the GE I think I overheard about £14,500.
wasnt the black doctors coupe the one that sold for £50k a few years ago?

so offers on £39k could be cheap for someone?

the GE fabric saloon is stunning, it was on barry clarkes stall, but beleive it belonged someone else on the stand. it needed alot more work doing to finish. so would be expensive once finished.

if the eventual buyer reads this, i bought a flyer in the last edmonds auction for this car and model. it is now in the clubs archive.

im sure a copy would be available through the archive.

tony
PM 9101 is not a one-off (built for Lydia Austin or anyone else) but a standard 1925 production coupe. At the time Donald rebuilt the car it was thought to be the only survivor, but at least one other turned up at a Doune Rally in the early 1970s in un-restored condition;  I have a photo of it somewhere, but meanwhile here's the catalogue illustration:

.jpg   1925 Austin Seven Brochure 508.jpg (Size: 184.29 KB / Downloads: 908)

The Doughty car is missing the upper portion of the doors - at that time I don't think anyone realised there should be a top section ...
I know of two original cars and a replica of Donald Doughty car which has got the upper portion of the doors I think it was manufactured by Keith Roach sometime in late 70'. Saw it at Beaulieu sometime in the 80'.
John Downie owned the Coupe mentioned by Mike above,

"In 1947 John bought an Austin 7 doctor's coupe, which he drove from London to Edinburgh. The car sat for many years progressively being dismantled, despite John's good intention of rebuilding it. Not until he retired, and with much help from friends and the Austin 7 club, was it rebuilt and once again on the road. John had many enjoyable weekends with friends taking the car to Austin 7 events throughout Scotland."

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/...t-1-769009

Car, as found in 1947...

.jpg   Coupe as found copyjpg copy.jpg (Size: 73.61 KB / Downloads: 836)

As displayed at the Doune in the early 1970s...

.jpg   Coupe at Scone copy jpg.jpg (Size: 169.89 KB / Downloads: 841)

John and the Car about to start an unsuccessful attempt at JOGLE...

I think there are quite a few replicas out there; there are at least two copies of the 1923 Austin car, from memory KC 9023 and DD 8357. There was also an original 1923 car - but not thought to be the family car - in mid-Wales (Llandrindod Wells or Rhyadar, from memory), again back in the late 1960s/early 1970s ...

Incidentally, Sir Herbert's two daughters were Irene and Zeta - Lydia was Ettore Bugatti's daughter!  Blush
(05-09-2017, 09:06 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I think there are quite a few replicas out there; there are at least two copies of the 1923 Austin car, from memory KC 9023 and DD 8357. There was also an original 1923 car - but not thought to be the family car - in mid-Wales (Llandrindod Wells or Rhyadar, from memory), again back in the late 1960s/early 1970s ...

Incidentally, Sir Herbert's two daughters were Irene and Zeta - Lydia was Ettore Bugatti's daughter!  Blush

So another completely incorrect story-

"This is a very rare ‘One Off” car
The only one made for Lord Austin’s daughter Lydia
Then sold after to Oakley Motors in Kent
It was restored in 1960’s by Donald Doughty"

with the only correct part being about the restoration, to try and justify the eye-watering price !

Cheers, Tony.
It's such a shame when people take a really nice car, and soil it's reputation by making false claims.
I don't remember the advert on the car at Beaulieu, Saturday, making those claims, but could just be my mind playing tricks on me.
I'll add the pictures from PWC (although they aren't very useful), for future reference, as they will dissappear when/if the car sells or the advert expires.

.jpeg   3964_1504538812_resized_image-64.jpeg (Size: 286.25 KB / Downloads: 706)

.jpeg   3964_1504538823_resized_image-65.jpeg (Size: 271.23 KB / Downloads: 705)
This the add in PWC
VERY RARE ORIGINAL 1925 AUSTIN 7 DOCTOR’S COUPE

This is a very rare ‘One Off” car
The only one made for Lord Austin’s daughter Lydia
Then sold after to Oakley Motors in Kent
It was restored in 1960’s by Donald Doughty

Comes with Full history from new

I have owned the Coupe since the late 1980’s
PRICE -OFFERS OVER £33,000
(Offers over Thirty Three Thousand Pounds Sterling)