The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dash board finish
The removable dash panel on my 1932 AG tourer I discover has original crackle finish paint under the Patent Plate! Mr Mills shows one piece dashes  crackled,  but not one with the removable section. I was preparing the panel for painting & found this!
 So now it will go & be crackled (by the local powder coaters who also do a good crackle! ) I am considering having the running boards powder coated black....any experience out there?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The wings and running boards on my Ulster were powder coated in 1990 - after over 90'000 miles of hard use they are still pretty much the same as when I did them - wish I could say the same for myself.
(06-11-2018, 07:26 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The wings and running boards on my Ulster were powder coated in 1990 - after over 90'000 miles of hard use they are still pretty much the same as when I did them - wish I could say the same for myself.

Rumour has it, you have a crackle finish R.
Why do you think I have a beard!
Many years ago I restored a 1931 AG tourer, and that, too, had a crackle (not wrinkle!) finish dash panel:

.jpg   007.800.jpg (Size: 52.67 KB / Downloads: 519)
I think it looks really smart - I saw a late Coupe dash done with it, lovely.
(06-11-2018, 09:33 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I think it looks really smart - I saw a late Coupe dash done with it, lovely.

Well well!
That's the way I will go, Crackle & powder coat.
I don't go for wrinkles either, even without a beard!
Regarding the crackle finish applied to the car dashboard originally.
Is the base colour also black or is it another colour with the black on top? The attached picture shows grey as a base colour and black on top.

.jpg   crackle finish paint.jpg (Size: 81.5 KB / Downloads: 268)

Thanks Stephen.
Brighton Pink.
The original finish was just plain black. I used a paint sold for old radio repairs which was brushed on in one coat and cured in a slightly damp atmosphere (I used a calor gas stove).