The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Brake Actuator Orientation
I’ve started to get ready for replacing the brake linings on the special. One of the main aims is to improve the braking performance. When looking at the rear brakes, I’ve spotted that the actuators are at the 8 o’clock position. Is this correct to achieve maximum braking?

Thanks.

Matt
If they're both at 8 o'clock then you've got a problem on one side! Ideally the angle between the cable and the actuator lever should always be acute and not pass 90° when fully applied. Make sure that when adjusting up the front brakes come on before the rears or you'll end up facing back the way you came.
(03-11-2018, 05:24 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: If they're both at 8 o'clock then you've got a problem on one side! Ideally the angle between the cable and the actuator lever should always be acute and not pass 90° when fully applied. Make sure that when adjusting up the front brakes come on before the rears or you'll end up facing back the way you came.

Well spotted Reckless! I should have said 8 o’clock on the off side and 4 o’clock on the near side.
Hopefully someone more recently familiar will reply but all 4 cams are different. Not something you wish to discover after complete assembly. The direction of the cotter has an influence. 
If semi Girling and not on original car the backplate my be orientated different. Normally all levers point downward. With the Girling brakes travel is moderate before operation whereas with worn earlier can be considerable.