The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1928 TT
Barnes’ car is shown in the third of James’ pictures, isn’t it Bill?
Just noticed Damian's comment re the rear axle clearance - is that correct re the modifying of the rear arch etc?  Remember the '27-'28 SuperSports had a Chummy-type floor and the angle of the skin from horizontal was as per the usual angle of the spring clearance (triangular) box, whereas the '29 SuperSports featured a floor as per the 1930 later Ulsters, with the whole floor angling up sharply from the flat floor (at 33" from the front fold) to a higher horizontal ledge, thus the skin had to follow a different contour.  Open to correction.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz

Ruairidh - if I have the correct photo in mind, the Barnes' car shown there is the later model Ulster - note the taller plated radiator shell.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
And taken at Brooklands I see...

.pdf   Barnes Bros 1928 TT 2009A.pdf (Size: 222.48 KB / Downloads: 1,029)
Here are Barnes Bros. in A7CA mag 2009A.  After careful study of this photo and another (which I'm sure I have - somewhere) Beatrice Brown considered that bodywork damage indicated an unreported 'roll'...
Jeff Taylor's link to a Motor Sport article mentions the 'roll'! Another still from the film shows the damage:

(01-11-2018, 09:22 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Jeff Taylor's link to a Motor Sport article mentions the 'roll'! Another still from the film shows the damage:
I have a similar photo, taken when Barnes was in the process of spinning his damaged car again in another corner.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
(01-11-2018, 09:22 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Jeff Taylor's link to a Motor Sport article mentions the 'roll'! Another still from the film shows the damage:

better to go sideways than to roll a car..? I Love to see that (going sideways.. not rolling...)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4339]

For those who like to catalogue such details, Harry Ferguson's Super Sports was chassis no 84054, engine number 82889, car number A8-6620, dispatched from the Works on 20th June 1928; it was the eighth Super Sports built. Frustratingly, although paint colour is mentioned for some of the cars, this particular car's colour is not recorded.
Silly me! Ignore that previous post, the ledger I was quoting is from 1929, not 1928, as the chassis / car numbers make evident; I just wasn't paying attention ...