The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon slicer starter and floor mounted switch.
Both motors are C. A. V. 
  Were there different shaped switches then and if so why is the cable hole plugged.
Here you are Robert...

.jpg   CAV starter motor.jpg (Size: 388.94 KB / Downloads: 262)
(30-10-2018, 08:22 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: What do you make of this then ?   I bought a complete early 1929 sandcast coil engine and starter motor. The starter motor was never fitted with a starter switch.
  As you can see the hole for the cable has been pugged up with aluminum and as you can see inside the bosses are different to allow some material for tapping the threads into.

Waste not Want not !

They ran out of direct drive starters so bodged up a few geared drive to keep production going . Never ones to be at a loss to make do .
Tony, 
    they didn't have direct drive starter's in 1929...
(30-10-2018, 11:02 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Tony, 
    they didn't have direct drive starter's in 1929...

Robert,

Err !! yes they did - Wyatt says 29th October 1929 Car No B1769 Chassis 99001.
(29-10-2018, 10:42 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(28-10-2018, 12:26 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: The later starter will not fit a gate change gearbox.

Hi Robert,

My own Chummy has had exactly this set up for a number of years.

R
Thank you Ruairidh, I stand corrected. I suppose I had assumed my answer because I had never seen the arrangement on your car. I am still learning about Austin Sevens with 59 years of experiencing them, but I am also forgetting details as well!
I chose to go down the route of fitting the later starter after the original bacon slicer one managed to rip itself from the crankcase damaging the securing threads.

This one is much gentler on everything.
(30-10-2018, 10:33 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(30-10-2018, 08:22 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: What do you make of this then ?   I bought a complete early 1929 sandcast coil engine and starter motor. The starter motor was never fitted with a starter switch.
  As you can see the hole for the cable has been pugged up with aluminum and as you can see inside the bosses are different to allow some material for tapping the threads into.

Waste not Want not !

They ran out of direct drive starters so bodged up a few geared drive to keep production going . Never ones to be at a loss to make do .

Interesting - the re manufactured geared drive starter appears to have the cover over a CAV type starter button switch hole - by 1929 the starters were usually fitted with the Lucas round switch - (which became the floor mounted switch by fitting a shroud  around the button)  so it appears they were using up quite old starter stock.