The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The fiddly bit is getting the gear to worm setting correct, because when you think it is right, when you try to lock it off by tightening the cover plate bolts that alters things slightly and tightens things up. It's a bit hit & miss, but eventually you find the happy medium. Check that the threaded end of the drop arm shaft is flat relative to the button, too.
'I found that once I'd put Longstones on the front recently dropping the pressure to 25psi instead of the 30psi I was using in the Avons improved things'

I have always been advised that Avon tyres should only ever be be inflated to 22 psi
(07-04-2021, 11:18 PM)Tony Press Wrote: 'I found that once I'd put Longstones on the front recently dropping the pressure to 25psi instead of the 30psi I was using in the Avons improved things'

I have always been advised that Avon tyres should only ever be be inflated to 22 psi

+1 on that.
I'm a recent convert to Longstone tyres, which I run at around 26psi front, 28psi rear, on my RM saloon, but for many years the Avon Triple Duty was the tyre of choice, and 22psi seemed to be the right figure for those. Presumably the modern Longstones have a softer side-wall.
Longstones themselves recommend 30psi for the Austin Seven on their 19" tyres.

A period booklet I have on Austin Seven Tyres suggests 22psi historically, but that will be on 'old' style steel reinforced cross ply tyres.
It's usually a case of experimentation according to the make and size of tyre fitted, the model of Austin 7 - and what you want to do with it. A morning or afternoon of experimentation on a bumpy, twisty road should find the sweet spot. Today, of course, using a Chinese-made-use-twenty-times-and-chuck-it-into-the-canal-when-it-fails self-contained, portable compressor, this is easy to do. It's never very going to handle like a GoCart - unless you put in 50 psi in all-round and lock the dampers up solid for driving tests... Even cheaper - but looking less impressive - this one.
We found that on Longstones they are better really soft on the front. Down to 18 psi on the front of the Ulster.
Running Avon Triple Duties at 25 lbs/sq. in all round. No handing problems so far.

"Fair daffodils, we weep to see thee
Haste away so soon......"

Took the Seven for a trip into Bala the long way round the lake.
A brave show of late daffodils at Llangower.
It's 6 years since I tried a set of Longstones at 25 psi and it was like sailing a boat so I phoned Longstones to be told try 30 psi or higher this was a bit better but after two instances of he car making a dive for a dry stone wall I put Avons on the car off another Seven. I then drove the same route with no excursions and phoned Longstones for a set of Avons, try our tyres was the reply. I replied I have a set you can have they are banished to workshop use only and told him of my experiences. I was told that the car would be all over the road at 30 psi try 20 psi do you still want the Avons? Yes please, I did try the Longstones at 20 psi which was much better but my confidence in them was dented. Like David I'm running Avons at 25 psi which after 58 years I'm totally confident in. It would help if Longstone staff could all sing from the same songsheet.
I fitted a set of Longstones on our chummy a couple of years ago, after having always had Avons running at 22psi all round. They told me to try 30psi, but did say this might be a bit high for a chummy. After some experimentation, I settled on 25psi front, 27psi rear. The handling of the car in general feels good to me on the Longstones, and particularly the ride quality seems much better, although admittedly the Avons were quite a few years old at that point. That's my experience anyway.