The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Change in both cap fitting and location of outlet took place in August 1925, chassis no:12025
My Top Hat project, made in December 1926 has the tap on the outside of the mounting screws but retains a screw cap.
(14-09-2020, 07:16 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Just picked up on this .  You say 'The Collection's newly renovated 4-seat Tourer was pottering round. Beautiful job but they stuck the Austin Seven script smack in the middle of the rad grille. I had to put on my anorak and inform them of the error...' but surely all cowled rad models had the Austin Seven script in the centre of the rad?
I agree, Robin:

.jpg   1969 crop.jpg (Size: 157.42 KB / Downloads: 611)
(18-09-2020, 07:24 PM)Parazine Wrote: My Top Hat project, made in December 1926 has the tap on the outside of the mounting screws but retains a screw cap.

Tim,

I agree, there are anomalies. Relocation of the tap seems to have occurred in '25 but I have seen examples of later cars with screw caps. Perhaps Austin's were getting rid of old stock ?Never one to waste materials was our Herbert!

The Ruby was the only Austin Seven in paddock or car park at Shelsley yesterday. Pram Hood owners were present, but the Chummies sans engine or in Wiltshire. Spectators were temperature checked before being allowed admission, the cheerful person with the ray-gun told me that he had yet to turn anyone away. The forum has reported varying amounts of Seven use this year. For this machine, not a single competitive event. A Colnbrook apparatchik correctly identified Sevens with LEDs as the greatest threat to civilisation, and by banning the likes of us from the Measham ensured a wholly safe, complete and trouble free season across Britain. Well done Colnbrook. However the Ruby was the recce car for what amounted to one and a half Scatter rallies, all cancelled. In the course of researching and checking historic tours it ascended 15 historic hill climbs. Seven of these comprised the Salopian Ascents, the date  earlier in September just a whisker before having to cancel it.  We regard the Ruby as the perfect recce car. Maps and note books stay dry, enough room for rations and emergency supplies of fizzy water, plenty of ground clearance for when the navvy mistakes disused railway lines or canal towpaths for yellows. Whilst the Ruby first gear regularly allows it to go up the side of houses, we work on the basis that if going down a steep hill is not terrifying, then other cars including those with rear wheel brakes will find it a doddle. And ahead, no Cheshire Rally, no Cotswold Trial. Even if I changed the Ruby headlights I was listening to two old ladies outside the chippie in Leominster talking about Brightwells having sold their sale site so no Measham from Leominster if at all. Thank heavens for our cherished suppliers, all still very much in business and keeping us maintaining and improving our mighty machines.
Feeling as if being Confined to Barracks again may be just around the corner, Debs, me, and soon-to-be-brother-in-law took a couple of hours off from work, piled ourselves and a picnic into the Chummy, drove twenty minutes to a likely looking field in the countryside, and had a thoroughly pleasant bask in the sunshine. From the few cars and cyclists that passed we received waves and smiles. As for the young man who shouted 'Last of the summer wine.......!' as he drove by - We ain't that flippin' old. Yet.

Lovely photo Nick!
(19-09-2020, 09:02 AM)Chris Garner Wrote:
(18-09-2020, 07:24 PM)Parazine Wrote: My Top Hat project, made in December 1926 has the tap on the outside of the mounting screws but retains a screw cap.

Tim,

I agree, there are anomalies. Relocation of the tap seems to have occurred in '25 but I have seen examples of later cars with screw caps. Perhaps Austin's were getting rid of old stock ?Never one to waste materials was our Herbert!
.....and the bayonet fitting was a lot cheaper to buy in.
OK, this doesn't sound like much of a story to be posting on this thread, when I say that Adam drove to the end of our road & back in his Cambridge bodied Austin 7 yesterday.

It is however, quite a momentous occasion.

It is the first time he has been able to drive it anywhere since May 2019, so after nearly 18 months of inactivity, for it to move anywhere under its own steam is something of a red letter day.

After suffering some engine trouble at the Isle Of Man Classic back in May 2019, we decided to order a new competition engine from a very well known supplier.  It was agreed that delivery would be made in October 2019, we have since discovered that this particular supplier has a rather "elastic" perception of time.  So by the time the engine was finally delivered in August 2020, we had in the meantime, removed the original engine, rebuilt it, & fitted it into another Seven, got my Dad's MG J2 back on the road, fully restored 2 MK1 Minis & a Moke & built a new 180bhp Hillclimber after Adam crashed our original back in August 2019.

So as I am sure you can appreciate finally getting Adam's Seven moving under it's own steam again is a HUGE step forward.  OK, we still have quite a bit to do including a full rewire, modified side covers & find out why we currently have no reverse gear, but we finally feel that we are making progress again, and of course, the morning after this great leap forward is the first really cold day of winter. . . . . . So is life Smile

Hopefully, by the time we are allowed to leave our houses again, we will have a very fast competitive Hogstow special on our hands.

Our progress would have been even slower if it wasn't for the friendly helpful advice we have received from the Austin 7 friends forum. 

Thanks, Mark & Adam.

[Image: hog.jpg]

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/media/hog.jpg