The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Bob, I had read up Woodrow, the A7 Companion and a paper on Ruby rear axle rebuild from Essex A7 club and it was there it was noted that a “clonking noise” would be apparent if there was too much backlash, hence my comment, apologies if that is a misinterpretation.
The condition of the CW&P is good with no sign of any damage. I managed to get a reasonable pattern which I believe is very similar to that described by Jack French. I employed the assistance of my good wife to look and tell me, independently, if the pattern on my CW looked like the JF picture and she said yes, so I think it is close.
What I did find is that I mixed a bright yellow acrylic paint with a little oil and this gave a much better definition than the usual blue, though it was more difficult to clean off.
As for making a special tool to insert the seal retaining spring, I had a tool that I had made for folding edges of sheet steel when repairing the bodywork and it is a 12” long 1/2” round bar with a cut in one end made with two saw blades fitted into a hacksaw. Then one side adjacent to the cut in the end is filed away at 45 degrees.
Having seen one of the springs fly off into a far place in the garage whilst trying to fit it and then spending the next three hours trying to find it, I saw this tool on the bench an thought this might work, it did, I found they went in very easily. So a few moments making something similar is well worth while.
I used the modern lip seals to replace the felts fitted previously, and you dispense with the original steal cups and the seal sits into the casing, this did not work at first and after discussion with the supplier I rounded off the edges of the recess in the casing with needle file and then very carefully used the needle file to remove a very thin layer of the rubber round the outer edge of the seal and then with a touch of grease these did make a tight fit into the recess.
Cheers

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Denis Sweeney - 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM