The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I was very pleased, having bought the car, to find not only did the engine run, but the fuel gauge worked.

The fuel gauge is notorious for its unreliability.

After a year or two, the gauge stuck on "Full".   I have finally got round to try and fix it.

To be sure the wiring wasn't the problem, I remover the sender from the tank, and the gauge from the dash and connected them with a couple of lengths of wire with croc clips on.

Nothing, gauge still reading "Full".  

Resistance check showed the sender was varying as it should, and continuity through the gauge.

Took the thing apart, to find the needle stuck to the stop.   Don't know how it managed that.   Why would it stick?   Weird.

Freed it, put it back in the dash, tried again.   Nothing, now reading empty, and not moving.

Looked again, to find that the connector had moved whilst I tightened it and was earthing to the mounting bolt.

Fixed that, and now have a gauge that is working.

The point of this is that two silly faults can stop the gauge working, it isn't necessarily something broken.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by "Slack Alice" Simon - 04-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM