The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
On Saturday evening, whilst shunting cars around in the drive, the Polo blotted its copybook by deranging its gear lever mechanism, so yesterday, little Leon and I went over to feed the horses in the Seven. I let Leon drive down the track to the road.

I should explain that the track consists of a more or less level piece, followed by a 1 in 5 hill ( downwards) with two hairpins on it and then a further straight of about 300 yards or so to the road. The hill was negotiated in second using the brakes and, when we got to the bottom, I suggested he select third. Ignoring my advice as to double declutching, Leon simply changed from second to third in one swift movement and a 'snick' noise from the box, reminiscent of the way one changes gear in a T35. He didn't attempt a downward change and we stopped at the end still in third gear.

There are two ways over to Llangynog, one slightly longer than the other via Llyn Efyrnwy and this was the route we took back, as the police were flitting about on the B4391, my more usual route and I wasn't in the mood for tedious explanations as to why we were doing essential animal husbandry in a pre-war car.

I had forgotten just how steep the climb is from the lake up to the top of Foel Goch, which involved a 3 mile second gear climb. About 50 yards from the top, the RP stopped with vapour lock problems in the fuel pump! After about 15 minutes it was going again and we decended along Cwm Hirnant to Rhosygwaliau and thence home.

Leon drove up the track quite confidently and then, unbidden, did another second to third change exactly like the first! Obviously beginners luck. Just wait till I get him to try a downward change! Now he has suggested that I leave him the car in my Will!!!

And for those who may be interested, the Polo's gearchange mechanism is now arranged again.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 06-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM