The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Like Duncan, I took the opportunity of taking FG out for the first time in two weeks, it being the first nice day we have had that wasn't Christmas Day! When I went out to Wrexham a week ago last Friday, it turned out to be a horrid foggy day which turned to rain as i came home in the dark. So, today, I took a gentle trundle over the mountains out towards Trawsfynydd and then came back via Llanfachreth and Rhydymain, finishing up with a fast run (well fast for an Austin Seven) up the A494 back to Bala.

When I had the engine apart not so long ago, I took the opportunity of reverse flushing the radiator and cleaning out the block.  The engine now runs a lot cooler - to the extent that, on climbing some of the banks in the mountains, the oil pressure seemed rather high - 7 to 8 lbs in second. So I stopped on the moors and checked to see if the oil jets were blocked. They weren't, but the cylinder head was only pleasantly warm to the touch, even after some serious second gear hill climbing. In fact, it remained stubbornly high until I got onto the A494, when a bit of fast road work saw it come down to its usual level.

I must admit it was cold on the moors, so I am wondering whether the oil was not getting up to temperature (I am using a good quality 10W/40 semi-synthetic). Anyway, best check, and be safe. I don't fancy being stuck on the top of the mountains with a run big end and no mobile signal. I could be there 'till spring!

Right on the top, there is a red sign that reads: " Danger! Stay on the Road! Explosives!" I presume that the army have used the area for artillery practice as some time.

Photos: ( At long last I have found out how to insert them into the post and caption them individually)

.jpg   S02BI002.JPG (Size: 140.4 KB / Downloads: 416)

Outside the Anabaptist Chapel in Llanuwchlyn

.jpg   S02BI003.JPG (Size: 129.96 KB / Downloads: 416)

Just to show that the mountain road is gated

.jpg   S02BI004.JPG (Size: 110.08 KB / Downloads: 416)
Going through the mountains

.jpg   S02BI005.JPG (Size: 104.73 KB / Downloads: 415)
Up on the moors just after I had checked the big end jets.

.jpg   S02BI006.JPG (Size: 152.96 KB / Downloads: 415)
On the bridge just before the junction where one has to decide whether to go to Trawsfynydd or Llanfachreth. The Motoring Dog can be seen at the passenger window wondering what on earth I am doing.

.jpg   S02BI007.JPG (Size: 84.91 KB / Downloads: 415)
Landscape with Ram.

.jpg   S02BI008.JPG (Size: 151.61 KB / Downloads: 416)
I haven't a clue what this structure is. However, there is the remains of a quarry nearby so it must be something to do with that.

47 miles covered this afternoon. Although the oil leak from the near side rear of the block hasn't quite gone away, no oil to speak of was used. And the modified head certainly makes the car feel livelier, so Thank you Robert!

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 29-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM