The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I must admit that since my trip to Santiago de Compostella in the RP it hasn't ventured out much. Neither have I, but that was mainly due to a spell in hospital and a period of convalescence. I have however been "busy" with other matters when able.

My daily runabout is a 1995 Citroen C15 van which I have owned for the past 10 years or so. The last "Contrôle Technique" raised a couple of issued that would need sorting for the next time, one of which was that the steering rack was badly worn and needed replacement. I had looked at the possibility of buying a refurbished rack but even so they weren't cheap (like me). The problem was solved one day earlier this year when for another reason I had to visit my local "garagiste" and I noticed another C15 in his yard. After asking what he was doing with it I learnt that is was scheduled to be scrapped because of various issues including a lack of documentation. I had a quick look at it and saw that the steering rack was good, with no wear. How much do you want for the van, I asked. Dunno, what're you offering? How about 100€ says I. OK no peroblem. I'll bring it round this afternoon - it turned out that the van was a runner, but the gearbox was "tired" as were the drive shafts, and some other bits.
Anyway, I got myself a complete 2004 C15 van for 100€ and the plan was to strip it for spares and scrap the shell. This is what I bought:

[Image: 20190729-144901.jpg]

That was back in early October and the van was driven into the garage and slowly stripped of its parts. About a week into the strip, a courier from UPS called with a parcel and enquired if I wanted to sell the seats. I didn't because they were better than I already had, but the engine and gearbox (minus starter motor and alternator) were there, for 100€. Done, says he. It's for my father in law. He came back a couple of days later and paid cash. Cushty. I now had a load of C15 spares for free!

After taking it all to bits, the front subframe and steering rack were reconditioned ready to fit into the other C15, but what to do with the rest. Flash of inspiration - I'll make a trailer out of the back half and dump the rest. Here it is:

[Image: 20191224-145457-resized.jpg]

So now I have a C22.5 = C15 plus C7.5... Smile Handy for all those jobs around the house:

[Image: 20191229-135614-resized.jpg]

Apologies to all those skilled metal bashers out there, but it works and all it cost me was 120€ for the tow hitch, jockey wheel, steelwork and paint. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

On other matters closer to the thread, I checked the oil in the Austin and it was fine. The horn still works too.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Reckless Rat - 29-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM