The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Welcome to the forum, Ferg. Your tourer looks to be a very nice car.

Yes, your starting handle should be at the 9 o'clock position when not in use, although the catches in the casing get worn and the handle escapes! This happens on my 1933 RP saloon.

I grease and oil mine every 1000 miles and it seems quite satisfactory. There are about a dozen grease nipples and several places where oil can attention is required including the brake cross shaft and steering draglink ends I wipe grease into the brake cable ball ends and on the front brake cable compensator. One thing I always put a drop of oil to are the rear brake cam bearings. They are supposed to be oilite bushes, but mine seize up if you are not careful.

With regard to the tickover, I had a similar problem when I first had my car. It turned out that my carb was a 'bitza', made up from two different types of 26VA carb. It appears that, although the float bowls fit both types of carb, they are internally different and fitting the wrong one gives you tickover problems. There is a thread on this including how to identify whch carb is which. (Search 'Carburettor Problems' started by me on 10.04.19).

Hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 21-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM