The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 913 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
In answer posed by this thread: Washed it!

It has been quite a busy little car this week. Last weekend, I went up to visit the family in Anglesey in it and ended up bringing by 15year old great-granddaughter back with me for a couple of days. On the way, i had hoped to get some photos of the car in the Snowdonia mountains, but there was nowhere to park in the Ogwen Pass. It was 'chokka'!  I also ended up in a horrendous traffic jam coming into Betws-y-Coed from Padog. It took over half an hour to get down the bank into the town. I also got stuck at the Brittania Bridge over the Menai Strait, the jam there being caused by a slight traffic collision where an elderly Transit pickup and run into the back of a caravan being towed by an SUV. There appeared to be minimal damage, but the lady from the SUV was giving the poor benighted middle-aged Transit driver a real wigging! The roads were quieter on the way back, and we made a non-stop run from Llanerchymedd to Bala (65miles) in 2 1/4 hours, so not bad. The only complaint from Sarah was that she had a 'numb bum'. I told her this was standard in a Seven!

On bank holiday Monday, we went to the Steam Gala at the light railway in Llanuwchllyn, the other end of the lake from me. The president of the railway showed up in his Bentley Mk. 6, which, I understand, is his daily transport and , just before we left, a very handsome MG J2 showed up. I have included photos taken at the Gala, including one of me having a go at driving one of the engines. The Railway were using an AEC Routemaster bus to ferry visitors from Bala so I had to include this in my photo montage.

On Tuesday, I broke the handbrake cable on my Polo, so used the Seven as personal transport until yesterday, when the new handbrake cable for the VW came and was fitted. So on Wednesday, the Seven went to Oswestry to collect Landrover bits, on Thursday evening it took me over to Llanbrynmair to visit friends and on Friday, over to Wrexham to work.

On the way back from Llanbrynmair, I decided to return the 'quick' way, through Dinas Mawddwy and over Bwlch-y-Groes. I had forgotten just how steep Bwlch-y-Groes was. 2 miles in bottom gear! When i got to the top, the headlamp beams were wreathed in steam, but the car didn't overheat, However, it required nearly 2 pints of water to restore the radiator level the following morning.

Although i have not been keeping count, overall, I have probably done something approaching 500 miles this week in the Seven, using (leaking?) 2 pints of motor oil and about three pints of water (I top up both religiously before setting out) and the little car has behaved impeccably. The fact that it always does never ceases to amaze me for a car 17 years older that me. I wish I was that fit!

The photos taken  at Llanuwchllyn were taken by my 'best' Leica digital camera. The last one showing the Seven after its bath was taken by the Kodak DC20.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   S020I003.JPG (Size: 141.89 KB / Downloads: 158)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 01-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM