The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
One of the things which bemused about England was the cannon littered seemingly everywhere!

For anyone from the area and curious the place I visited was Ringmore poised above scenic cliffs, and the minor "road" entered in the dark branched off opposite Aveton Gifford. And having driven the relatives over backroads here (Whangaehu valley) they drove me the long way Modbury, Kingston, Ringmore, and much else.

It was curious to visit villages not hugely changed from when my grand parents were young (19th century) with the same churches  and many other buildings. (Even an ex poor house.) Here many small rural settlements with their wooden structures  have almost or totally disappeared. I have several times a year for 50 years tripped up and down the North Island often hunting out backroads, and many settlements and rail stops have faded in that time.

Of especial interest at Portsmouth was the pulley block making machinery, amongst the very earliest production machinery.
Much of the Victory was closed off. I explained I had come a long way (not to mention paid a ransom for parking) to see it and the sour guide nearly kicked this pesky colonial off for complaining! However the obliging and knowledgeable guide on the Warrior fully compensated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Bob Culver - 28-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM