The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Jim. What a ball ache. Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new battery or put a mechanical dizzy back on?

Tonight I spent 5 minuites fiddling with my bronze carb. Upon close inspection it looks like when the carb was made the core for the bowl is offset towards the body of the carb, and thus to get the lid to fit (lid is numbered as the carb) it has a section filed out of the knurled edge. The lip being tight in the mouth of the bowl. Pushing down the tickler with my finger (dry), sort of flicking it, every now and again it would stick down. Which seems to be my problem. It didn't do it predictably. But every 20 or 30 flicks it would stick. Sometimes just a little stuck. Sometimes really stuck.

I spent some time filing the lip of the lid, and while the notch prevents the lid rotating freely, the lid now drops easily into place, actually with a bit of clearance. And by flicking the tickler I cannot make it stick. I hope the bastard is now fixed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 26-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM