The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Dave,

I hear what your saying, removing the filter had no effect on the conking out, nor did blowing up what appeared to be a perfectly free flowing fuel pipe.

So I robbed the carb off the grey saloon, fitted it to the chummy (still sans filter), and problem has gone away. I then put the filter back on as there is certainly a little muck in my tank (its visible in the filter). And still no problems. I've since done about 20 mile in fairly short bursts.

I'm off to Audlem in it in Sunday so we shall see.

The problem with the chummys carb is that the engine dies, and when you stop the bowl is empty. If you take the lid off then fuel flows freely. And off you go again. Having had the carb rebuilt with additional (12months later) TLC to the needle I was sure it wasn't the carb. Generally this is during climbing a bank or when driving fast on the open road, generally, but not always, so I thought it was a fuel flow or vapour lock.

As noted the bearded wizard is always a good man for bouncing ideas off. And as a result of a consultation and his suggestion I think the bowl lid, which is not the carbs original may be too tight in the top of the bowl, which means the needle isn't as free as perhaps it should be, and isn't self centring, or is forced in an angle and binds up occasionally. Or perhaps at a certain rev range cos of the vibration, or indeed temperature. At present the lid only fits when in a certain orientation, and requires a deliberate push down to sit properly on the carb body.

I've not done it yet, but I plan to file the lip on the lid so that it is a rattling good fit in the body of the carb, as is the lid on the carb presently fitted, and as are the lids on the other carbs I have in the spares box. I may install the new gubbins on the present lid on one of the spares yet. We shall see how I feel on the day and if I can find my needle files.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 26-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM