The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
More "finishing off" on the ex Hong Kong AG. Got the rear lights wired up, did bits of detail wiring tidying & thought I would get the engine ready to start. (it has run!) leads on, sparks in right sort of places, now to put water in the radiator.
Bother! (or similar) a definite steady dribble from 1/3 up the rad. Yes I did check it when it was out of the car, but clearly not well enough! I also realise now that the overflow pipe perhaps should be soldered into the header tank! Mine is just a loose fit so the hole where it goes is the overflow!
Oh well, I will run the engine with the leaky rad to see how it goes & may even put some Barrs Leaks as  a stop-gap (stop up!)...worked on Rally cars!

One hood hinge snapped (it had been brazed in the past...THAT was why the hinges had different threads), which brings me to the hood & screens. I now understand how the screens are oriented (thanks to this forum), but the handbook has comments I don't quite follow:

1. "...push the sidescreens inwards so the rubber buffers fixed near the top of the division of the side screens clear the iron framework of the hood."  RUBBER BUFFERS??? all mine have is a canvas flap!
2. "...secure the two rear window fasteners, on the studs on the back of the body, and secure the hood frame with the
CLIP (?) either side".... Clip?...  What studs on the back of the body? My rear screens have no straps, but they are hinged...Why?
3. "Secure the cover by the straps, one each side, and the two fasteners on the back of the body."...
Two more fasteners? or are they double length LTD's? Quotes from 619c (1929) whose body & fittings are similar (?) I think to the AG.
I haven't tracked down the handbook specific for the AG (1931/2) Short Chassis Tourer. The "Original Austin Seven" book doesn't even acknowledge their existence...going from AF to AH!

Are there LTD studs on the inside of the front doors for its sidescreen  strap? Also when it is folded forward - where is the stud? again on the door, but outside ?
The body is in essence a steel "Chummy"
David

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David.H - 10-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM