The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Today, I have had one of those "Oh I wish I hadn't done that" moments. In endeavouring to minimise a slight oil leak from the nearside block/crankcase joint I decided rather than just leaving well alone, to give the block holding down nuts a little tweak. The rear one in the valve chest promptly sheared off flush with the inside of the valve chest.

(please feel free to insert here any appropriate profanations...)

So that's me b*ggered for a while.

Having got over my anger at what I'd done and considered options, I have decided to first of all try to replace the broken stud and see how things go. This will mean an engine/gearbox out job and I'll then tackle the problem with the unit on the bench. I prefer to do it that way rather than stooping over the car. Needless to say the RP will be out of action for a while until I have rectified the problem, but there's no real rush. I'm busy with other things anyway at the moment.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Reckless Rat - 01-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM