The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
David, 

Its very nice to see a blue box saloon back travelling the roads I grew up travelling in my mothers blue box saloon. I courted a girl in Corwen briefly. 

In Market Drayton, I've had grey box out on friday, mainly to make sure it the oil levels are fine as it is to be my conveyance to work on Tuesday while my Mondeo is in dock for a pre MOT inspection, which may well be its death sentence. But we will see.  But we did venture to Hinstock for lunch on the playing field while daughter got rid of some energy on the playground. So hot that we had to run with the screen open. When we got back I got the Chummy out and did the same oil level check etc. Also the obligatory lap round town with the daughter as passenger.

[Image: 008_1752.jpg]

Yesterday we ventured out in the Chummy, this time to Attingham Park for a jolly and a picnic. A direct if rather rural route was taken via my shed at Bolas Heath, Waters Upton, Roden and Upton Magna. We got stopped by a man in a van to tell me I had a wobbly wheel, but I could feel no play at the time, It also conked out twice with what I think was a vapour lock as when I took the top off the carb petrol flowed freely again. Despite the weather it was a bit fresh on the journey there.

On stopping at Attingham, a further investigation of the wheel showed there was play, probably in the wheel bearing. Hey ho. Also some but less in the other rear wheel bearing

[Image: 008_1753.jpg]

Despite the concern about the 'wobbly wheel' we had a super run back home via the A53 with no further fuel issues. Other than when I stalled it in town, and had to get out to crank the handle (car not wired - no starter). Oddly I could again find no play in the rear wheel bearings when I got home. Very odd. Ill take the hub off to investigate soon. I think I shall also wrap the exhaust to see if it improves the fuel issue. Timing is right, and its deffinatley not running lean as its a bit greedy on the fuel front. Also leaks oil out of the jet cleaning out hole bungs in the crankcase.  Warmer journey home in shirt sleeves.

[Image: 008_1755.jpg]

Today we had a day of washing clothes. But I got the RP out, which hasnt really done many miles since I changed the head. Checked the fluids etc. The daughter (whos car this is) rang me up while I was filling up with petrol to instruct me to return back to get her a she wanted a ride. So we went on an unsuccessfull run to Betron to see my mate Neil (who has a traction engine) but wasnt there. Also gave it a wash as the wife was cleaning her car (a 2003 Beetle). Standing about a month it hasnt lost a drop of antifreeze, nor is there any oil in the coolant despite a few short journeys (the issue with the previous head). So tomorrow we are off to Kinver for a look round the houses built into the caves. Should be a nice 100mile round trip. The sunshine roof will come into its own I think. The 4 bladed fan I hope will keep temperatures down. 

[Image: 008_1756.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 21-04-2019, 10:56 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM