The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(14-04-2019, 08:04 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Hi David

I dunno how extensively you have rearched old posts, but a reduced oi level for diff and gearbox is now generally recommended.

Thnak you Bob. Yes. I am aware of current wisdom on gearbox and back axle levels. I hvae discovered that 1 pint of oil brings the gearbox level to about 1/2 inch below the filler plug and I try to keep the level there. In fact, today, the level was about right so it was just a check.  I do like to keep the level up in the back axle though. When I first had the car, the axle made some awful noises, but changing whatever was in there (it looked like a mixture of oil and grease) for SAE 140 (twice as it happens) has made it acceptably quieter. It leaks from the front of the torque tube though, hence a regular check. I don't want to do it a mischief!

I didn't mention in my post that I also had the rear drums off as the offside rear brake cam was sticking slightly, so I checked both sides. Although the edges of the drive flanges are damp, there is no oil on the linings, so it looks as if the axle oil is  staying more or less where it should.

I should also perhaps mention that there is method in my madness, as the Polo will be due it's MOT in June and i need to have it off the road to do some essential work to it and the Seven is going to have to be my 'daily' for between a week and a fortnight whilst the Polo is receiving TLC.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 14-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM