The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The transport museum (MOTAT) Bob mentions has a certain rustic charm to it that I always liked. Things aren't labelled particularly well but I like museums to show me lots of random things, not just one thing with a carefully curated story as most seem to do now. If I like the things I then find out more about them myself outside the museum. That museum also has a Lancaster bomber (not flying unfortunately).

The other big museum, the Auckland War Memorial Museum, has a very nice sectioned Merlin engine on display. It has an electric motor so you can turn it over - slowly. It used to have a little hand wheel and you could rotate it manually. It has light bulbs where the spark plugs go that light up at the right time on the firing stroke.

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/collection...ect-675874

When I go to look at it, it always takes me a second to remember you are only seeing the two exhaust valves per cylinder lifting, all the inlets being on the non cut away insides of the heads of course.

R, the magnet tray is a trick some modern racing teams use apparently during pit stops. All tools and parts have to be put on the tray when not being used and not left sitting on top of the engine or body. Allows them to quickly remove the tray, slam the bonnet down and be sure they haven't left a socket on top of the head or spanners in the scuttle or similar.

Simon

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by jansens - 05-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM