The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
From my experience the wrap saves you from burns but it definitely promotes rust on mild steel piping.

In the case of Gino's Ulster rep, the stuff on the manifold was very brittle and powdery, so we didn't put it back, the stuff on the full length pipe is in good condition and until he or we modify the straight pipe to something more resembling Ruairidh's Ulster exhaust above, we won't know the condition of the pipe.

On my single seater special the exhaust is alarmingly close to the driver's left elbow and falls easily to hand when getting out, guess how I know this..., so Dad came out with a roll of asbestos string, (yes the genuine stuff), which he's had since slightly after the earth cooled down. 

We debated this one long and hard, but in the end, we applied it - Face masks and having the pipe on 2 stands so it could be rolled to apply the string under steady tension. Remarkably there was no dust and no little bits. Asbestos is nasty stuff, but only if inhaled in fine powdered form. When in roof sheets, guttering and or this string, it's about as inert as you can get, but we still wore masks.

Here I'm on the grid at the Historic reenactment of the 1934 Grand Prix in East London, South Africa - this was just before the parade lap of the original circuit, we could drive 11 miles of the original circuit, hence the casual clothes. The string looks very 'period correct' and has stayed neatly & tightly wrapped. I do keep an eye on it.

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   Exhaust.JPG (Size: 101.48 KB / Downloads: 203)

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Greig Smith - 04-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM